- Cannabis refers to a genus of flowering plants, including 3 separate species: C. sativa, C. indica and C. ruderalis.
- Street names for cannabis are numerous, and include: marijuana, pot, weed, herb, buddha, nugs, grass, trees, Mary Jane.
- Cannabis is most often consumed by smoking dried plant material, but vaporization and oral administration is also fairly common.
- The primary psychoactive component is Δ9 -tetrahydrocannabinol, also called Δ9-THC or simply THC.
- THC exhibits its psychoactive effects via agonism of the cannabinoid type 1 (CB1) receptor.
- Cannabis intoxication involves disruptive behavioral or psychological changes after cannabis use, with expected physical changes, +/- perceptual disturbances.
- Cannabis withdrawal refers to disruptive signs and symptoms of abstinence, including physical symptoms, that occur in heavy users.
- Cannabis use disorder refers to disruptive overuse of the drug. Besides overuse, elements of cannabis use disorder may include loss of control, wasted time, a strong drive to use, social disruption, dangerous use, use despite problems in various areas, tolerance, and withdrawal symptoms.
There's more to see -- the rest of this topic is available only to subscribers.
Last updated: May 2, 2017
Taylor, Matthew, and Ryan Vandrey. "Cannabis-Related Disorders." Johns Hopkins Psychiatry Guide, 2017. Johns Hopkins Guides, www.hopkinsguides.com/hopkins/view/Johns_Hopkins_Psychiatry_Guide/787098/all/Cannabis_Related_Disorders.
Taylor M, Vandrey R. Cannabis-Related Disorders. Johns Hopkins Psychiatry Guide. 2017. https://www.hopkinsguides.com/hopkins/view/Johns_Hopkins_Psychiatry_Guide/787098/all/Cannabis_Related_Disorders. Accessed June 10, 2023.
Taylor, M., & Vandrey, R. (2017). Cannabis-Related Disorders. In Johns Hopkins Psychiatry Guide https://www.hopkinsguides.com/hopkins/view/Johns_Hopkins_Psychiatry_Guide/787098/all/Cannabis_Related_Disorders
Taylor M, Vandrey R. Cannabis-Related Disorders [Internet]. In: Johns Hopkins Psychiatry Guide. ; 2017. [cited 2023 June 10]. Available from: https://www.hopkinsguides.com/hopkins/view/Johns_Hopkins_Psychiatry_Guide/787098/all/Cannabis_Related_Disorders.
* Article titles in AMA citation format should be in sentence-case
TY - ELEC T1 - Cannabis-Related Disorders ID - 787098 A1 - Taylor,Matthew,M.D. AU - Vandrey,Ryan,Ph.D. Y1 - 2017/05/02/ BT - Johns Hopkins Psychiatry Guide UR - https://www.hopkinsguides.com/hopkins/view/Johns_Hopkins_Psychiatry_Guide/787098/all/Cannabis_Related_Disorders DB - Johns Hopkins Guides DP - Unbound Medicine ER -