is a topic covered in the Johns Hopkins Psychiatry Guide
To view the entire topic, please sign in or purchase a subscription.
Official website of the Johns Hopkins Antibiotic (ABX), HIV, Diabetes, and Psychiatry Guides, powered by Unbound Medicine. Johns Hopkins Guide App for iOS, iPhone, iPad, and Android included. Explore these free sample topics:
-- The first section of this topic is shown below --
- Cannabis refers to a genus of flowering plants, including 3 separate species: C. sativa, C. indica and C. ruderalis.
- Street names for cannabis are numerous, and include: marijuana, pot, weed, herb, buddha, nugs, grass, trees, Mary Jane.
- Cannabis is most often consumed by smoking dried plant material, but vaporization and oral administration is also fairly common.
- The primary psychoactive component is Δ9 -tetrahydrocannabinol, also called Δ9-THC or simply THC.
- THC exhibits its psychoactive effects via agonism of the cannabinoid type 1 (CB1) receptor.
- Cannabis intoxication involves disruptive behavioral or psychological changes after cannabis use, with expected physical changes, +/- perceptual disturbances.
- Cannabis withdrawal refers to disruptive signs and symptoms of abstinence, including physical symptoms, that occur in heavy users.
- Cannabis use disorder refers to disruptive overuse of the drug. Besides overuse, elements of cannabis use disorder may include loss of control, wasted time, a strong drive to use, social disruption, dangerous use, use despite problems in various areas, tolerance, and withdrawal symptoms.
-- To view the remaining sections of this topic, please sign in or purchase a subscription --
Last updated: May 2, 2017
Taylor, Matthew, and Ryan Vandrey. "Cannabis-Related Disorders." Johns Hopkins Psychiatry Guide, 2017. Johns Hopkins Guide, www.hopkinsguides.com/hopkins/view/Johns_Hopkins_Psychiatry_Guide/787098/all/Cannabis_Related_Disorders.
Taylor M, Vandrey R. Cannabis-Related Disorders. Johns Hopkins Psychiatry Guide. 2017. https://www.hopkinsguides.com/hopkins/view/Johns_Hopkins_Psychiatry_Guide/787098/all/Cannabis_Related_Disorders. Accessed July 16, 2019.
Taylor, M., & Vandrey, R. (2017). Cannabis-Related Disorders. In Johns Hopkins Psychiatry Guide. Available from https://www.hopkinsguides.com/hopkins/view/Johns_Hopkins_Psychiatry_Guide/787098/all/Cannabis_Related_Disorders
Taylor M, Vandrey R. Cannabis-Related Disorders [Internet]. In: Johns Hopkins Psychiatry Guide. ; 2017. [cited 2019 July 16]. Available from: https://www.hopkinsguides.com/hopkins/view/Johns_Hopkins_Psychiatry_Guide/787098/all/Cannabis_Related_Disorders.
TY - ELEC
T1 - Cannabis-Related Disorders
ID - 787098
A1 - Taylor,Matthew,M.D.
AU - Vandrey,Ryan,Ph.D.
Y1 - 2017/05/02/
BT - Johns Hopkins Psychiatry Guide
UR - https://www.hopkinsguides.com/hopkins/view/Johns_Hopkins_Psychiatry_Guide/787098/all/Cannabis_Related_Disorders
DB - Johns Hopkins Guide
DP - Unbound Medicine