- Pain is "an unpleasant sensory and emotional experience associated with actual or potential tissue damage."
- Chronic pain is usually defined as pain that persists beyond the time expected for healing of an injury or resolution of an illness.
- Standard definitions emphasize 3-6 months’ duration, intensity of 6-7/10 on a visual analog scale (VAS), and associated emotional distress and physical impairment.
- Chronic pain can also be defined as pain that represents an adaptation of the nervous system such that:
- Pain continues that is an over response to a noxious stimulus.
- Pain is a noxious experience of a neutral stimulus.
There's more to see -- the rest of this topic is available only to subscribers.