is a topic covered in the Johns Hopkins Psychiatry Guide
To view the entire topic, please sign in or purchase a subscription.
Official website of the Johns Hopkins Antibiotic (ABX), HIV, Diabetes, and Psychiatry Guides, powered by Unbound Medicine. Johns Hopkins Guide App for iOS, iPhone, iPad, and Android included. Explore these free sample topics:
-- The first section of this topic is shown below --
- Pain is "an unpleasant sensory and emotional experience associated with actual or potential tissue damage."
- Chronic pain is usually defined as pain that persists beyond the time expected for healing of an injury or resolution of an illness.
- Standard definitions emphasize 3-6 months’ duration, intensity of 6-7/10 on a visual analog scale (VAS), and associated emotional distress and physical impairment.
- Chronic pain can also be defined as pain that represents an adaptation of the nervous system such that:
- Pain continues that is an over response to a noxious stimulus.
- Pain is a noxious experience of a neutral stimulus.
-- To view the remaining sections of this topic, please sign in or purchase a subscription --