Official website of the Johns Hopkins Antibiotic (ABX), HIV, Diabetes, and Psychiatry Guides, powered by Unbound Medicine. Johns Hopkins Guide App for iOS, iPhone, iPad, and Android included. Explore these free sample topics:
-- The first section of this topic is shown below --
- Multisystem disease caused by platelet thrombi in various organs.
- Thrombocytopenia, hemolytic anemia, renal impairment, fever (can be high), and neurologic abnormalities (agitation, disorientation, headache early, late focal deficits, seizure, coma).
- Rare in HIV, but important to recognize because mortality 60-80% if undiagnosed; mortality < 10% if recognized and treated early.
- Associated with early and late HIV, malignancy, chemotherapy, pregnancy.
- Drugs associated with TTP: quinine, ticlopidine, cyclosporine.