Thrombotic thrombocytopenic purpura
- Multisystem disease caused by platelet thrombi in various organs.
- Thrombocytopenia, hemolytic anemia, renal impairment, fever (can be high), and neurologic abnormalities (agitation, disorientation, headache early, late focal deficits, seizure, coma).
- Rare in HIV, but important to recognize because mortality 60-80% if undiagnosed; mortality < 10% if recognized and treated early.
- Associated with early and late HIV, malignancy, chemotherapy, pregnancy.
- Drugs associated with TTP: quinine, ticlopidine, cyclosporine.
There's more to see -- the rest of this topic is available only to subscribers.
Last updated: February 1, 2015
Moore, Richard D. "Thrombotic Thrombocytopenic Purpura." Johns Hopkins HIV Guide, 2015. Johns Hopkins Guides, www.hopkinsguides.com/hopkins/view/Johns_Hopkins_HIV_Guide/545204/all/Thrombotic_thrombocytopenic_purpura.
Moore RD. Thrombotic thrombocytopenic purpura. Johns Hopkins HIV Guide. 2015. https://www.hopkinsguides.com/hopkins/view/Johns_Hopkins_HIV_Guide/545204/all/Thrombotic_thrombocytopenic_purpura. Accessed June 1, 2023.
Moore, R. D. (2015). Thrombotic thrombocytopenic purpura. In Johns Hopkins HIV Guide https://www.hopkinsguides.com/hopkins/view/Johns_Hopkins_HIV_Guide/545204/all/Thrombotic_thrombocytopenic_purpura
Moore RD. Thrombotic Thrombocytopenic Purpura [Internet]. In: Johns Hopkins HIV Guide. ; 2015. [cited 2023 June 01]. Available from: https://www.hopkinsguides.com/hopkins/view/Johns_Hopkins_HIV_Guide/545204/all/Thrombotic_thrombocytopenic_purpura.
* Article titles in AMA citation format should be in sentence-case
TY - ELEC T1 - Thrombotic thrombocytopenic purpura ID - 545204 A1 - Moore,Richard,M.D. Y1 - 2015/02/01/ BT - Johns Hopkins HIV Guide UR - https://www.hopkinsguides.com/hopkins/view/Johns_Hopkins_HIV_Guide/545204/all/Thrombotic_thrombocytopenic_purpura DB - Johns Hopkins Guides DP - Unbound Medicine ER -