- Member of aerobic actinomycetes group. Grows slowly on media. Appear as branching, beaded filamentous Gram-positive rods.
- Variably acid fast due to presence of intermediate mycolic acids in cell wall, distinguishes from Actinomyces. May produce sulfur granules, especially in mycetomas.
- Ubiquitous in environment. Most infections acquired by inhalation or direct inoculation.
- Many (possibly all) isolates previously identified as "N. asteroides" now known to have been mis-identified based on current lab standards; type strain of N. asteroides does not appear to have been recovered from recent clinical isolates.
- Human pathogens include N. abscessus (former N. asteroides Type I drug susceptibility pattern), N. brevicatena/paucivorans complex (Type II), N. nova complex (III), N. transvalensis complex (IV), N. farcinica (V; more virulent), and N. cyriacigeorgica (VI), as well as N. brasiliensis (more common in tropics and actinomycetoma) and N. pseudobrasiliensis.
- Each species/complex generally has stereotyped antimicrobial susceptibility patterns.
There's more to see -- the rest of this topic is available only to subscribers.
Last updated: May 6, 2021
Melia, Michael. "Nocardiosis." Johns Hopkins HIV Guide, 2021. Johns Hopkins Guides, www.hopkinsguides.com/hopkins/view/Johns_Hopkins_HIV_Guide/545150/all/Nocardiosis.
Melia M. Nocardiosis. Johns Hopkins HIV Guide. 2021. https://www.hopkinsguides.com/hopkins/view/Johns_Hopkins_HIV_Guide/545150/all/Nocardiosis. Accessed June 7, 2023.
Melia, M. (2021). Nocardiosis. In Johns Hopkins HIV Guide https://www.hopkinsguides.com/hopkins/view/Johns_Hopkins_HIV_Guide/545150/all/Nocardiosis
Melia M. Nocardiosis [Internet]. In: Johns Hopkins HIV Guide. ; 2021. [cited 2023 June 07]. Available from: https://www.hopkinsguides.com/hopkins/view/Johns_Hopkins_HIV_Guide/545150/all/Nocardiosis.
* Article titles in AMA citation format should be in sentence-case
TY - ELEC T1 - Nocardiosis ID - 545150 A1 - Melia,Michael,M.D. Y1 - 2021/05/06/ BT - Johns Hopkins HIV Guide UR - https://www.hopkinsguides.com/hopkins/view/Johns_Hopkins_HIV_Guide/545150/all/Nocardiosis DB - Johns Hopkins Guides DP - Unbound Medicine ER -