Official website of the Johns Hopkins Antibiotic (ABX), HIV, Diabetes, and Psychiatry Guides, powered by Unbound Medicine. Johns Hopkins Guide App for iOS, iPhone, iPad, and Android included. Explore these free sample topics:
-- The first section of this topic is shown below --
- Lipodystrophy: changes in body fat composition based on anthropomorphic measures of fat distribution such as waist circumference.
- Accompanied by metabolic disorders: dyslipidemia, hypertriglyceridemia, low HDL, insulin resistance, and DM.
- Associated with long-term use of some ARV regimens.
- Lipohypertrophy (LH) or fat accumulation (FA): central visceral fat gain, increased breast fat, and dorsocervical fat pad ("Buffalo hump").
- Central adiposity linked to higher mortality.
- Associated with elevation of inflammatory cytokines.
- Lipoatrophy (LA): peripheral fat loss in face, limbs and buttocks.