Johns Hopkins Guides provide diagnosis, management, and treatment guidance for infectious diseases, diabetes, and psychiatric conditions. Explore these free sample topics:
~~ The first section of this topic is shown below ~~
- Lipodystrophy: changes in body fat composition based on anthropomorphic measures of fat distribution such as waist circumference.
- Accompanied by metabolic disorders: dyslipidemia, hypertriglyceridemia, low HDL, insulin resistance, and DM.
- Associated with long-term use of some ARV regimens.
- Lipohypertrophy (LH) or fat accumulation (FA): central visceral fat gain, increased breast fat, and dorsocervical fat pad ("Buffalo hump").
- Central adiposity linked to higher mortality. 
- Associated with elevation of inflammatory cytokines.
- Lipoatrophy (LA): peripheral fat loss in face, limbs and buttocks.