is a topic covered in the Johns Hopkins HIV Guide
To view the entire topic, please sign in or purchase a subscription.
Official website of the Johns Hopkins Antibiotic (ABX), HIV, Diabetes, and Psychiatry Guides, powered by Unbound Medicine. Johns Hopkins Guide App for iOS, iPhone, iPad, and Android included. Explore these free sample topics:
-- The first section of this topic is shown below --
- Lipodystrophy: changes in body fat composition based on anthropomorphic measures of fat distribution such as waist circumference.
- Accompanied by metabolic disorders: dyslipidemia, hypertriglyceridemia, low HDL, insulin resistance, and DM.
- Associated with long-term use of some ARV regimens.
- Lipohypertrophy (LH) or fat accumulation (FA): central visceral fat gain, increased breast fat, and dorsocervical fat pad ("Buffalo hump").
- Central adiposity linked to higher mortality.
- Associated with elevation of inflammatory cytokines.
- Lipoatrophy (LA): peripheral fat loss in face, limbs and buttocks.
- Consequence of thymidine analog NRTIs: d4T, ZDV. Switching ART prevents progression, but fat recovery slow and likely incomplete.
- Can be confused with wasting, which is due to HIV disease progression and/or OIs, and includes both muscle and fat loss.
-- To view the remaining sections of this topic, please sign in or purchase a subscription --
Last updated: February 1, 2015
Spacek, Lisa A. "Lipodystrophy." Johns Hopkins HIV Guide, 2015. Johns Hopkins Guide, www.hopkinsguides.com/hopkins/view/Johns_Hopkins_HIV_Guide/545121/all/Lipodystrophy.
Spacek LA. Lipodystrophy. Johns Hopkins HIV Guide. 2015. https://www.hopkinsguides.com/hopkins/view/Johns_Hopkins_HIV_Guide/545121/all/Lipodystrophy. Accessed May 20, 2019.
Spacek, L. A. (2015). Lipodystrophy. In Johns Hopkins HIV Guide. Available from https://www.hopkinsguides.com/hopkins/view/Johns_Hopkins_HIV_Guide/545121/all/Lipodystrophy
Spacek LA. Lipodystrophy [Internet]. In: Johns Hopkins HIV Guide. ; 2015. [cited 2019 May 20]. Available from: https://www.hopkinsguides.com/hopkins/view/Johns_Hopkins_HIV_Guide/545121/all/Lipodystrophy.
TY - ELEC
T1 - Lipodystrophy
ID - 545121
A1 - Spacek,Lisa,M.D., Ph.D.
Y1 - 2015/02/01/
BT - Johns Hopkins HIV Guide
UR - https://www.hopkinsguides.com/hopkins/view/Johns_Hopkins_HIV_Guide/545121/all/Lipodystrophy
DB - Johns Hopkins Guide
DP - Unbound Medicine