- Human herpesvirus-8 (HHV-8): human gammaherpes virus, also known as Kaposi’s sarcoma-associated herpesvirus (KSHV)
- 20-30% of men who have sex with men (MSM) are HHV-8 seropositive vs. 1% of HIV-negative blood donors. Associated with receptive anal intercourse and number of partners. An unknown cofactor may be involved in transmission.
- HHV-8 gene products promote spindle cell proliferation and angiogenesis and therefore may eventually lead to tumor formation.
- For diagnostic and specific information see modules Kaposi’s sarcoma, Castlemans disease.
There's more to see -- the rest of this topic is available only to subscribers.
Last updated: January 12, 2020
Blankson, Joel N. "HHV-8." Johns Hopkins HIV Guide, 2020. Johns Hopkins Guides, www.hopkinsguides.com/hopkins/view/Johns_Hopkins_HIV_Guide/545094/all/HHV_8.
Blankson JN. HHV-8. Johns Hopkins HIV Guide. 2020. https://www.hopkinsguides.com/hopkins/view/Johns_Hopkins_HIV_Guide/545094/all/HHV_8. Accessed June 10, 2023.
Blankson, J. N. (2020). HHV-8. In Johns Hopkins HIV Guide https://www.hopkinsguides.com/hopkins/view/Johns_Hopkins_HIV_Guide/545094/all/HHV_8
Blankson JN. HHV-8 [Internet]. In: Johns Hopkins HIV Guide. ; 2020. [cited 2023 June 10]. Available from: https://www.hopkinsguides.com/hopkins/view/Johns_Hopkins_HIV_Guide/545094/all/HHV_8.
* Article titles in AMA citation format should be in sentence-case
TY - ELEC T1 - HHV-8 ID - 545094 A1 - Blankson,Joel,M.D., Ph.D. Y1 - 2020/01/12/ BT - Johns Hopkins HIV Guide UR - https://www.hopkinsguides.com/hopkins/view/Johns_Hopkins_HIV_Guide/545094/all/HHV_8 DB - Johns Hopkins Guides DP - Unbound Medicine ER -