Official website of the Johns Hopkins Antibiotic (ABX), HIV, Diabetes, and Psychiatry Guides, powered by Unbound Medicine. Johns Hopkins Guide App for iOS, iPhone, iPad, and Android included. Explore these free sample topics:
-- The first section of this topic is shown below --
- Standard lipid profile includes total cholesterol, TG, HDL cholesterol (HDL-C), and LDL cholesterol (LDL-C).
- Apolipoproteins and lipoprotein lipase activity can also be measured but are not recommend as part of standard analysis.
- Chylomicrons carry fat absorbed from the intestine.
- High LDL-C ("bad cholesterol") is the strongest lipid risk factor for cardiovascular disease.
- Low HDL-C ("good cholesterol) is also a strong risk factor for cardiovascular disease.
- High triglycerides (TG) are also associated with cardiovascular disease although less strongly than high LDL-C or low HDL-C.
- Severe hypertriglyceridemia is a cause of pancreatitis .