is a topic covered in the Johns Hopkins Diabetes Guide
To view the entire topic, please sign in or purchase a subscription.
Official website of the Johns Hopkins Antibiotic (ABX), HIV, Diabetes, and Psychiatry Guides, powered by Unbound Medicine. Johns Hopkins Guide App for iOS, iPhone, iPad, and Android included. Explore these free sample topics:
-- The first section of this topic is shown below --
- A clouding or opacity of the natural crystalline lens of the eye.
- When glucose increases in the lens (as in hyperglycemic states), the sorbitol pathway is activated more than glycolysis; sorbitol accumulates and is retained in the lens.
- Along with sorbitol, fructose also builds up in a lens surrounded by a high glucose environment.
- These two sugars increase the osmotic pressure within the lens, drawing in water.
- The result is swelling of the lens fibers, disruption of the normal cytoskeletal architecture, and ultimately, lens opacification.
-- To view the remaining sections of this topic, please sign in or purchase a subscription --
Last updated: January 3, 2015
Kalyani, Sachin. "Cataracts." Johns Hopkins Diabetes Guide, 2015. Johns Hopkins Guide, www.hopkinsguides.com/hopkins/view/Johns_Hopkins_Diabetes_Guide/547025/all/Cataracts.
Kalyani S. Cataracts. Johns Hopkins Diabetes Guide. 2015. https://www.hopkinsguides.com/hopkins/view/Johns_Hopkins_Diabetes_Guide/547025/all/Cataracts. Accessed November 21, 2019.
Kalyani, S. (2015). Cataracts. In Johns Hopkins Diabetes Guide. Available from https://www.hopkinsguides.com/hopkins/view/Johns_Hopkins_Diabetes_Guide/547025/all/Cataracts
Kalyani S. Cataracts [Internet]. In: Johns Hopkins Diabetes Guide. ; 2015. [cited 2019 November 21]. Available from: https://www.hopkinsguides.com/hopkins/view/Johns_Hopkins_Diabetes_Guide/547025/all/Cataracts.
TY - ELEC
T1 - Cataracts
ID - 547025
A1 - Kalyani,Sachin,M.D.
Y1 - 2015/01/03/
BT - Johns Hopkins Diabetes Guide
UR - https://www.hopkinsguides.com/hopkins/view/Johns_Hopkins_Diabetes_Guide/547025/all/Cataracts
DB - Johns Hopkins Guide
DP - Unbound Medicine