Official website of the Johns Hopkins Antibiotic (ABX), HIV, Diabetes, and Psychiatry Guides, powered by Unbound Medicine. Johns Hopkins Guide App for iOS, iPhone, iPad, and Android included. Explore these free sample topics:
-- The first section of this topic is shown below --
- Fastidious, Gram-negative aerobic coccobacillus of Neisseriaceae family.
- Labs may misidentify due to organism’s tendency for crystal violet dye retention, therefore appearing Gram positive.
- β-hemolytic, catalase negative; will not grow on MacConkey agar.
- Polysaccharide capsule aids in virulence and invasive abilities.
- Part of normal respiratory and GU flora, especially in children (colonization rates 9-12% ages 12-24 mos).
- Kingella kingae most frequent human pathogen.
- Other occasional species include K. dentrificans and K. oralis.
- Generally susceptible to many antibiotic classes.