Official website of the Johns Hopkins Antibiotic (ABX), HIV, Diabetes, and Psychiatry Guides, powered by Unbound Medicine. Johns Hopkins Guide App for iOS, iPhone, iPad, and Android included. Explore these free sample topics:
-- The first section of this topic is shown below --
- Usually inflammatory and noninfectious.
- If infectious, frequently polymicrobial. Leading pathogens:
- Pathogenicity is unclear for organisms cultured in bile/gall bladder unless also recovered in blood.
- Anaerobes are less significant unless bile duct to bowel anastomosis or fistula present; if so, the most common organisms include Clostridium and Bacteroides species.
- Pathogenic role of enterococci and anaerobes are otherwise not well defined and empirical coverage not usually required.