is a topic covered in the Johns Hopkins ABX Guide
To view the entire topic, please sign in or purchase a subscription.
Official website of the Johns Hopkins Antibiotic (ABX), HIV, Diabetes, and Psychiatry Guides, powered by Unbound Medicine. Johns Hopkins Guide App for iOS, iPhone, iPad, and Android included. Explore these free sample topics:
-- The first section of this topic is shown below --
- Note: for use only in those serious infections for which less potentially dangerous drugs are ineffective or contraindicated.
- Acute infections caused by Salmonella typhi
- Serious infections caused by Salmonella species, H. influenzae, specially meningeal infections, Rickettsia, Lymphogranuloma-psittacosis Chlamydia group, various Gram-negative bacteria causing bacteremia and meningitis.
- Part of a cystic fibrosis regimen when other agents are ineffective or contraindicated.
- Ocular infections (ophthalmic drops and ointments)
- Lung abscess
- Gas gangrene (in PCN allergic pts)
- Brain abscess
- Paratyphoid fever
- Q fever (Coxiella burnetii)
- Rocky mountain spotted fever and other endemic (murine or scrub) typhus infections caused by Rickettsia species
- Meningitis in PCN-allergic patients.
-- To view the remaining sections of this topic, please sign in or purchase a subscription --
Last updated: January 31, 2016
Pham, Paul A, and John G Bartlett. "Chloramphenicol." Johns Hopkins ABX Guide, The Johns Hopkins University, 2016. Johns Hopkins Guide, www.hopkinsguides.com/hopkins/view/Johns_Hopkins_ABX_Guide/540119/all/Chloramphenicol.
Pham PA, Bartlett JG. Chloramphenicol. Johns Hopkins ABX Guide. The Johns Hopkins University; 2016. https://www.hopkinsguides.com/hopkins/view/Johns_Hopkins_ABX_Guide/540119/all/Chloramphenicol. Accessed December 11, 2019.
Pham, P. A., & Bartlett, J. G. (2016). Chloramphenicol. In Johns Hopkins ABX Guide. Available from https://www.hopkinsguides.com/hopkins/view/Johns_Hopkins_ABX_Guide/540119/all/Chloramphenicol
Pham PA, Bartlett JG. Chloramphenicol [Internet]. In: Johns Hopkins ABX Guide. The Johns Hopkins University; 2016. [cited 2019 December 11]. Available from: https://www.hopkinsguides.com/hopkins/view/Johns_Hopkins_ABX_Guide/540119/all/Chloramphenicol.
TY - ELEC
T1 - Chloramphenicol
ID - 540119
A1 - Pham,Paul,Pharm.D.
AU - Bartlett,John,M.D.
Y1 - 2016/01/31/
BT - Johns Hopkins ABX Guide
UR - https://www.hopkinsguides.com/hopkins/view/Johns_Hopkins_ABX_Guide/540119/all/Chloramphenicol
PB - The Johns Hopkins University
DB - Johns Hopkins Guide
DP - Unbound Medicine