Official website of the Johns Hopkins Antibiotic (ABX), HIV, Diabetes, and Psychiatry Guides, powered by Unbound Medicine. Johns Hopkins Guide App for iOS, iPhone, iPad, and Android included. Explore these free sample topics:
-- The first section of this topic is shown below --
- Spiral-shaped bacteria well adapted to birds (carriage is asymptomatic).
- Raw chicken in U.S. frequently contaminated with this organism.
- Major cause of food-borne diarrhea (either #1 or #2 cause in U.S. trading places with Salmonella).
- Cases occur summer > winter.
- C. jejuni causes 99% of Campylobacter infections.
- For non-C. jejuni infections, see Campylobacter and related species pathogen module.
- Culture usually performed using selective "CAMP" agar, with temperature set at normal avian body temperature of 42°C, rather than at 37°C.
- Microaerophilic conditions facilitate growth.
- Oxidase positive.
- Stool Gram stain, curved rods suggestive of diagnosis (sensitivity 50-75%)
- Typically only scanty growth seen on aerobic plates.