Johns Hopkins Guides provide diagnosis, management, and treatment guidance for infectious diseases, diabetes, and psychiatric conditions. Explore these free sample topics:
~~ The first section of this topic is shown below ~~
- Spiral-shaped bacteria well adapted to birds (carriage is asymptomatic).
- Raw chicken in U.S. frequently contaminated with this organism.
- Major cause of food-borne diarrhea (either #1 or #2 cause in U.S. trading places with Salmonella).
- Cases occur summer > winter.
- C. jejuni causes 99% of Campylobacter infections.
- For non-C. jejuni infections, see Campylobacter and related species pathogen module.
- Culture usually performed using selective "CAMP" agar, with temperature set at normal avian body temperature of 42°C, rather than at 37°C.
- Microaerophilic conditions facilitate growth.
- Oxidase positive.
- Stool Gram stain, curved rods suggestive of diagnosis (sensitivity 50-75%)
- Typically only scanty growth seen on aerobic plates.