is a topic covered in the Johns Hopkins ABX Guide
To view the entire topic, please sign in or purchase a subscription.
Official website of the Johns Hopkins Antibiotic (ABX), HIV, Diabetes, and Psychiatry Guides, powered by Unbound Medicine. Johns Hopkins Guide App for iOS, iPhone, iPad, and Android included. Explore these free sample topics:
-- The first section of this topic is shown below --
- C. jejuni, spiral-shaped bacteria [Fig] well adapted to birds (carriage is asymptomatic).
- Microaerophilic, member of Campylobacteriacae
- Culture usually performed using selective "CAMP" agar, with the temperature set at normal avian body temperature of 42°C, rather than at 37°C.
- Microaerophilic conditions facilitate growth.
- Oxidase positive.
- Stool Gram stain, curved rods suggestive of diagnosis (sensitivity 50-75%)
- Typically only scanty growth seen on aerobic plates.
-- To view the remaining sections of this topic, please sign in or purchase a subscription --