- Excess adipose tissue that affects health
- Defined clinically as a body mass index (BMI) of ≥ 30 kg/m2 by the World Health Organization.
- Subdivided into Class 1 (BMI 30 - 34.9 kg/m2), Class 2 (BMI 35-39.9 kg/m2) and Class 3 (BMI > 40 kg/m2). Overweight is BMI 25-29.9 kg/m2.
- Visceral adiposity is excess adipose tissue inside the abdominal cavity.
- Visceral adiposity defined clinically as a waist circumference > 35 inches (88 cm) for women, or > 40 inches (102 cm) for men.
Obesity Management was found in Johns Hopkins Diabetes Guide.
If you are a registered user, please log in below.
If not, learn more about gaining full access.
- Johns Hopkins Guides include up-to-date, authoritative content to help you treat patients and raise the standard of care.
Try these free topics now!
Johns Hopkins ABX Guide
Johns Hopkins Diabetes Guide
Johns Hopkins HIV Guide