- Gram-positive pleomorphic rod that grows best anaerobically.
- Usually inhabits human skin, sebaceous glands, nasopharynx, GI/GU tracts.
- Generally sensitive to beta-lactams and resistant to aminoglycosides.
- Slow growth, often >5-6d. Incubation time, may require up to 14d to recover clinically significant isolates from prosthetic joint infections, for example.
Propionibacterium species was found in Johns Hopkins ABX Guide.
If you are a registered user, please log in below.
If not, learn more about gaining full access.
- Johns Hopkins Guides include up-to-date, authoritative content to help you treat patients and raise the standard of care.
Try these free topics now!
Johns Hopkins ABX Guide
Johns Hopkins Diabetes Guide
Johns Hopkins HIV Guide