- Facultative anaerobic Gram negative rod. Non-lactose fermenter in the same family as Proteus.
- Morganella only has single member in its genus M. morganii, and two subspecies: M. morganii and M. sibonii, which differ only in trehalose fermentation.
- Naturally resistant to penicillin, 1st-2nd generation cephalosporins, macrolides, sulfamethoxazole .
- Generally sensitive to aminoglycosides, piperacillin, ticarcillin, 3rd-4th gen cephalosporins, carbapenems, quinolones.
- Tigecycline not reliably effective due to ArcAB efflux pump, although may show synergy in vitro with other antimicrobials (see Vouillamez ref).
Morganella was found in Johns Hopkins ABX Guide.
If you are a registered user, please log in below.
If not, learn more about gaining full access.
- Johns Hopkins Guides include up-to-date, authoritative content to help you treat patients and raise the standard of care.
Try these free topics now!
Johns Hopkins ABX Guide
Johns Hopkins Diabetes Guide
Johns Hopkins HIV Guide