- Suicide is defined as "death caused by self-directed injurious behavior with an intent to die as a result of the behavior".
- In 2010, suicide was the tenth-leading cause of death in the U.S.
- Suicide screening is "a procedure in which a standardized instrument or protocol is used to identify individuals who may be at risk for suicide".
- There can be universal or selective suicide screening.
- Universal screening is applied to an entire population regardless of whether they are thought to be at higher risk or not, e.g. every patient visiting a primary care office.
- Selective screening is applied to members of a group that research has shown to be at a higher than average risk for suicide, e.g. only patients with depression.
- In contrast, suicide assessment usually follows a positive screen. It can be typically defined as "a more comprehensive evaluation done by a clinician to confirm suspected suicide risk, estimate the immediate danger to the patient, and decide on a course of treatment".
There's more to see -- the rest of this topic is available only to subscribers.
Last updated: December 8, 2019
, Jaclyn Nguyen, and Paul Nestadt. "Suicide Screening." Johns Hopkins Psychiatry Guide, 2019. Johns Hopkins Guides, www.hopkinsguides.com/hopkins/view/Johns_Hopkins_Psychiatry_Guide/787380/all/Suicide_Screening.
J, Nestadt P. Suicide Screening. Johns Hopkins Psychiatry Guide. 2019. https://www.hopkinsguides.com/hopkins/view/Johns_Hopkins_Psychiatry_Guide/787380/all/Suicide_Screening. Accessed June 9, 2023.
, J., & Nestadt, P. (2019). Suicide Screening. In Johns Hopkins Psychiatry Guide https://www.hopkinsguides.com/hopkins/view/Johns_Hopkins_Psychiatry_Guide/787380/all/Suicide_Screening
J, Nestadt P. Suicide Screening [Internet]. In: Johns Hopkins Psychiatry Guide. ; 2019. [cited 2023 June 09]. Available from: https://www.hopkinsguides.com/hopkins/view/Johns_Hopkins_Psychiatry_Guide/787380/all/Suicide_Screening.
* Article titles in AMA citation format should be in sentence-case
TY - ELEC T1 - Suicide Screening ID - 787380 A1 - ,Jaclyn Nguyen, AU - Nestadt,Paul,M.D. Y1 - 2019/12/08/ BT - Johns Hopkins Psychiatry Guide UR - https://www.hopkinsguides.com/hopkins/view/Johns_Hopkins_Psychiatry_Guide/787380/all/Suicide_Screening DB - Johns Hopkins Guides DP - Unbound Medicine ER -