- Mindfulness-based interventions (MBIs) teach individuals the skills needed to cultivate mindfulness, the practice of bringing intentional, non-judgmental awareness to the present moment.
- The practice of meditation is central to MBIs.
- MBIs improve focused attention, self-regulation, and self-compassion as well as change one’s relationship to the internal and external experiences of everyday life.
- While MBIs draw from the Buddhist framework, they are secular clinical interventions as opposed to religious or spiritual practices.
- Two of the most well-researched MBIs are Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction (MBSR) and Mindfulness-Based Cognitive Therapy (MBCT).
- Initially developed in the 1970s at University of Massachusetts Medical Center by Jon Kabat-Zinn, PhD, for the treatment of chronic pain
- Teaches mindfulness and coping skills through formal meditation practice, group discussion, and self-reflection
- Developed by Zindel Segal, Mark Williams, and John Teasdale in the 1990s for the treatment of recurrent depression
- Combines principles of mindfulness with cognitive therapy
- Focuses on identifying early signs of depressive episodes and “mindfully disengaging from distressing moods and negative thoughts”
There's more to see -- the rest of this topic is available only to subscribers.
Last updated: September 3, 2020
Jahed, Sahar, et al. "Mindfulness-Based Interventions." Johns Hopkins Psychiatry Guide, 2020. Johns Hopkins Guides, www.hopkinsguides.com/hopkins/view/Johns_Hopkins_Psychiatry_Guide/787375/all/Mindfulness_Based_Interventions.
Jahed S, Richey LN, Gould N. Mindfulness-Based Interventions. Johns Hopkins Psychiatry Guide. 2020. https://www.hopkinsguides.com/hopkins/view/Johns_Hopkins_Psychiatry_Guide/787375/all/Mindfulness_Based_Interventions. Accessed June 9, 2023.
Jahed, S., Richey, L. N., & Gould, N. (2020). Mindfulness-Based Interventions. In Johns Hopkins Psychiatry Guide https://www.hopkinsguides.com/hopkins/view/Johns_Hopkins_Psychiatry_Guide/787375/all/Mindfulness_Based_Interventions
Jahed S, Richey LN, Gould N. Mindfulness-Based Interventions [Internet]. In: Johns Hopkins Psychiatry Guide. ; 2020. [cited 2023 June 09]. Available from: https://www.hopkinsguides.com/hopkins/view/Johns_Hopkins_Psychiatry_Guide/787375/all/Mindfulness_Based_Interventions.
* Article titles in AMA citation format should be in sentence-case
TY - ELEC T1 - Mindfulness-Based Interventions ID - 787375 A1 - Jahed,Sahar,DO AU - Richey,Lisa, AU - Gould,Neda,Ph.D. Y1 - 2020/09/03/ BT - Johns Hopkins Psychiatry Guide UR - https://www.hopkinsguides.com/hopkins/view/Johns_Hopkins_Psychiatry_Guide/787375/all/Mindfulness_Based_Interventions DB - Johns Hopkins Guides DP - Unbound Medicine ER -