Chronic Traumatic Encephalopathy
- Chronic traumatic encephalopathy (CTE) is defined as a distinctive neurodegenerative disease that occurs as a result of repetitive head impact.
- CTE is a unique tauopathy originally described in boxers.
- In recent times, CTE has been described in a variety of contact sports, such as American football.
- In addition, CTE has been seen in military veterans and others exposed to repetitive brain injury.
- CTE was originally studied in boxers in the 1920s by a forensic pathologist, Martland, who coined the term “Punch Drunk Syndrome.”
- In 1937, the term evolved and Millspaugh coined "Dementia Puglistica" to describe the posttraumatic sequelae of boxing.
- In 1962, the term was further amended by Courville who named it “the psychopathic deterioration of pugilists.”
- In 1973, the neuropathology of CTE was first described by Corsellis in a case series of 15 retired boxers.
- In 2005, Omalu’s autopsy report of former National Football League (NFL) player Mike Webster led to a greater emphasis on studying repetitive head trauma and concern for CTE as a result of playing American football.
There's more to see -- the rest of this topic is available only to subscribers.
Last updated: October 5, 2018
Narapareddy, Bharat R, and Matthew E Peters. "Chronic Traumatic Encephalopathy." Johns Hopkins Psychiatry Guide, 2018. Johns Hopkins Guides, www.hopkinsguides.com/hopkins/view/Johns_Hopkins_Psychiatry_Guide/787371/all/Chronic_Traumatic_Encephalopathy.
Narapareddy BR, Peters ME. Chronic Traumatic Encephalopathy. Johns Hopkins Psychiatry Guide. 2018. https://www.hopkinsguides.com/hopkins/view/Johns_Hopkins_Psychiatry_Guide/787371/all/Chronic_Traumatic_Encephalopathy. Accessed June 1, 2023.
Narapareddy, B. R., & Peters, M. E. (2018). Chronic Traumatic Encephalopathy. In Johns Hopkins Psychiatry Guide https://www.hopkinsguides.com/hopkins/view/Johns_Hopkins_Psychiatry_Guide/787371/all/Chronic_Traumatic_Encephalopathy
Narapareddy BR, Peters ME. Chronic Traumatic Encephalopathy [Internet]. In: Johns Hopkins Psychiatry Guide. ; 2018. [cited 2023 June 01]. Available from: https://www.hopkinsguides.com/hopkins/view/Johns_Hopkins_Psychiatry_Guide/787371/all/Chronic_Traumatic_Encephalopathy.
* Article titles in AMA citation format should be in sentence-case
TY - ELEC T1 - Chronic Traumatic Encephalopathy ID - 787371 A1 - Narapareddy,Bharat,M.D. AU - Peters,Matthew,M.D. Y1 - 2018/10/05/ BT - Johns Hopkins Psychiatry Guide UR - https://www.hopkinsguides.com/hopkins/view/Johns_Hopkins_Psychiatry_Guide/787371/all/Chronic_Traumatic_Encephalopathy DB - Johns Hopkins Guides DP - Unbound Medicine ER -