is a topic covered in the Johns Hopkins Psychiatry Guide
To view the entire topic, please sign in or purchase a subscription.
Official website of the Johns Hopkins Antibiotic (ABX), HIV, Diabetes, and Psychiatry Guides, powered by Unbound Medicine. Johns Hopkins Guide App for iOS, iPhone, iPad, and Android included. Explore these free sample topics:
-- The first section of this topic is shown below --
Tics are sudden, rapid, recurrent, non-rhythmic movements or vocalizations.
The DSM-5 describes several individual tic disorders as separate but related entities:
- Common, neurobehavioral tic disorder, marked by the presence of both multiple motor AND at least one vocal tics, lasting for a year or more, with onset before age 18
Persistent (chronic) motor or vocal tic disorder
- Common, neurobehavioral tic disorder, marked by the presence of either motor OR vocal tics, lasting for a year or more, with onset before age 18
Provisional tic disorder
- Marked by the presence of single OR multiple motor AND/OR vocal tics, lasting less than a year, with onset before age 18
Other specified tic disorder
- Presentation of tics is clinically significant and may cause impairment in daily functioning but does not meet full criteria for a tic disorder for any specific reason (e.g., onset after 18 years)
Unspecified tic disorder
- Insufficient information to make a more specific diagnosis
-- To view the remaining sections of this topic, please sign in or purchase a subscription --
Last updated: October 17, 2014
Specht, Matt W, and Arlec Cabrera. "Tic Disorders." Johns Hopkins Psychiatry Guide, 2014. Johns Hopkins Guide, www.hopkinsguides.com/hopkins/view/Johns_Hopkins_Psychiatry_Guide/787158/all/Tic_Disorders.
Specht MW, Cabrera A. Tic Disorders. Johns Hopkins Psychiatry Guide. 2014. https://www.hopkinsguides.com/hopkins/view/Johns_Hopkins_Psychiatry_Guide/787158/all/Tic_Disorders. Accessed March 23, 2019.
Specht, M. W., & Cabrera, A. (2014). Tic Disorders. In Johns Hopkins Psychiatry Guide. Available from https://www.hopkinsguides.com/hopkins/view/Johns_Hopkins_Psychiatry_Guide/787158/all/Tic_Disorders
Specht MW, Cabrera A. Tic Disorders [Internet]. In: Johns Hopkins Psychiatry Guide. ; 2014. [cited 2019 March 23]. Available from: https://www.hopkinsguides.com/hopkins/view/Johns_Hopkins_Psychiatry_Guide/787158/all/Tic_Disorders.
TY - ELEC
T1 - Tic Disorders
ID - 787158
A1 - Specht,Matt,Ph.D.
AU - Cabrera,Arlec,
Y1 - 2014/10/17/
BT - Johns Hopkins Psychiatry Guide
UR - https://www.hopkinsguides.com/hopkins/view/Johns_Hopkins_Psychiatry_Guide/787158/all/Tic_Disorders
DB - Johns Hopkins Guide
DP - Unbound Medicine