is a topic covered in the Johns Hopkins Psychiatry Guide
To view the entire topic, please sign in or purchase a subscription.
Official website of the Johns Hopkins Antibiotic (ABX), HIV, Diabetes, and Psychiatry Guides, powered by Unbound Medicine. Johns Hopkins Guide App for iOS, iPhone, iPad, and Android included. Explore these free sample topics:
-- The first section of this topic is shown below --
- Concurrent disturbances of both consciousness and cognition (including attention, memory, visuospatial function, executive function) often accompanied by changes in psychomotor behavior, perception, emotion, and sleep-wake cycle
- Duration is variable, but onset is often abrupt, usually over the course of hours to days, and ranging in severity.
- Can persist for weeks to months
- Delirium is a clinical syndrome indicating underlying pathology.
- It is not a disease unto itself.
- Delirium is classified under the neurocognitive disorders (NCDs) section of the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, 5th Edition (DSM-5).
-- To view the remaining sections of this topic, please sign in or purchase a subscription --
Last updated: January 29, 2017
Heffernan, Sean P, and Peter V Rabins. "Delirium." Johns Hopkins Psychiatry Guide, 2017. Johns Hopkins Guide, www.hopkinsguides.com/hopkins/view/Johns_Hopkins_Psychiatry_Guide/787106/7/Delirium.
Heffernan SP, Rabins PV. Delirium. Johns Hopkins Psychiatry Guide. 2017. https://www.hopkinsguides.com/hopkins/view/Johns_Hopkins_Psychiatry_Guide/787106/7/Delirium. Accessed October 13, 2019.
Heffernan, S. P., & Rabins, P. V. (2017). Delirium. In Johns Hopkins Psychiatry Guide. Available from https://www.hopkinsguides.com/hopkins/view/Johns_Hopkins_Psychiatry_Guide/787106/7/Delirium
Heffernan SP, Rabins PV. Delirium [Internet]. In: Johns Hopkins Psychiatry Guide. ; 2017. [cited 2019 October 13]. Available from: https://www.hopkinsguides.com/hopkins/view/Johns_Hopkins_Psychiatry_Guide/787106/7/Delirium.
TY - ELEC
T1 - Delirium
ID - 787106
A1 - Heffernan,Sean,M.D.
AU - Rabins,Peter,M.D., M.P.H.
Y1 - 2017/01/29/
BT - Johns Hopkins Psychiatry Guide
UR - https://www.hopkinsguides.com/hopkins/view/Johns_Hopkins_Psychiatry_Guide/787106/7/Delirium
DB - Johns Hopkins Guide
DP - Unbound Medicine