Johns Hopkins Guides provide diagnosis, management, and treatment guidance for infectious diseases, diabetes, and psychiatric conditions. Explore these free sample topics:
~~ The first section of this topic is shown below ~~
- Hypersomnolence disorder is characterized by repeated excessive sleepiness after at least seven hours of a main sleep period.
- In other words, repeated excessive sleepiness despite getting at least seven hours of sleep.
- Individuals with hypersomnolence and cataplexy are diagnosed with narcolepsy, as are hypersomnolent patients with specific sleep testing results.
- Hypersomnolence disorder is classified under the Sleep-Wake Disorders section of the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, 5th Edition (DSM-5) .
- The DSM-5 specifies that the excessive sleepiness should occur multiple times per week over a course of months and be accompanied by significant distress or impairment .