Official website of the Johns Hopkins Antibiotic (ABX), HIV, Diabetes, and Psychiatry Guides, powered by Unbound Medicine. Johns Hopkins Guide App for iOS, iPhone, iPad, and Android included. Explore these free sample topics:
-- The first section of this topic is shown below --
- Hypersomnolence disorder is characterized by repeated excessive sleepiness after at least seven hours of a main sleep period.
- In other words, repeated excessive sleepiness despite getting at least seven hours of sleep.
- Individuals with hypersomnolence and cataplexy are diagnosed with narcolepsy, as are hypersomnolent patients with specific sleep testing results.
- Hypersomnolence disorder is classified under the Sleep-Wake Disorders section of the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, 5th Edition (DSM-5).
- The DSM-5 specifies that the excessive sleepiness should occur multiple times per week over a course of months and be accompanied by significant distress or impairment.