- Disorder characterized by symptoms of schizophrenia, with a total duration greater than one month but less than the six months required for a schizophrenia diagnosis
- Regarded by DSM-5 as a schizophrenia spectrum disorder
- When an individual has a new-onset psychosis, the course of illness and eventual diagnosis may be uncertain.
- Up to 20% may have a single psychotic episode without any subsequent episodes.
- When an episode lasts less than a month with a full return to baseline, the DSM categorizes this as a brief psychotic disorder.
- About 80% of cases are later diagnosed with schizophrenia, schizoaffective disorder or an affective disorder.
- Thus, schizophreniform disorder is often a provisional diagnosis until longitudinal follow-up establishes a more specific diagnosis.
- Individuals who have a single psychotic episode fulfilling criteria for schizophreniform disorder have been found to present with more positive and affective symptoms, and to have better functioning 5 years later, compared to those diagnosed with schizophrenia.
There's more to see -- the rest of this topic is available only to subscribers.
Last updated: August 2, 2017
Leonpacher, Anne, and Russell Margolis. "Schizophreniform Disorder." Johns Hopkins Psychiatry Guide, 2017. Johns Hopkins Guides, www.hopkinsguides.com/hopkins/view/Johns_Hopkins_Psychiatry_Guide/787042/all/Schizophreniform_Disorder.
Leonpacher A, Margolis R. Schizophreniform Disorder. Johns Hopkins Psychiatry Guide. 2017. https://www.hopkinsguides.com/hopkins/view/Johns_Hopkins_Psychiatry_Guide/787042/all/Schizophreniform_Disorder. Accessed June 10, 2023.
Leonpacher, A., & Margolis, R. (2017). Schizophreniform Disorder. In Johns Hopkins Psychiatry Guide https://www.hopkinsguides.com/hopkins/view/Johns_Hopkins_Psychiatry_Guide/787042/all/Schizophreniform_Disorder
Leonpacher A, Margolis R. Schizophreniform Disorder [Internet]. In: Johns Hopkins Psychiatry Guide. ; 2017. [cited 2023 June 10]. Available from: https://www.hopkinsguides.com/hopkins/view/Johns_Hopkins_Psychiatry_Guide/787042/all/Schizophreniform_Disorder.
* Article titles in AMA citation format should be in sentence-case
TY - ELEC T1 - Schizophreniform Disorder ID - 787042 A1 - Leonpacher,Anne,M.D. AU - Margolis,Russell,M.D. Y1 - 2017/08/02/ BT - Johns Hopkins Psychiatry Guide UR - https://www.hopkinsguides.com/hopkins/view/Johns_Hopkins_Psychiatry_Guide/787042/all/Schizophreniform_Disorder DB - Johns Hopkins Guides DP - Unbound Medicine ER -