- An hallucination is a perception without a stimulus.
- With true hallucinations, the individual is convinced of the reality of the experience.
- A true hallucination must be differentiated from:
- Illusion - a misinterpretation of a stimulus (e.g., a crack on the floor is misperceived as a snake)
- Pseudohallucination - occurs in inner subjective space (e.g., heard in one’s thoughts, not perceived as auditory, does not come through the ears)
- Vivid imagery – increased imagination or mental images
- Hallucinations can occur in any of the five senses (auditory, visual, olfactory, gustatory, and/or tactile).
- Auditory hallucinations are the most common.
- Hallucinations are not pathognomic for any specific psychiatric illness, including schizophrenia.
- Hypnagogic and hypnopompic hallucinations can occur in healthy people when falling asleep and awakening, respectively.
There's more to see -- the rest of this topic is available only to subscribers.
Last updated: September 3, 2017
Speed, Traci, and Thomas Sedlak. "Hallucinations." Johns Hopkins Psychiatry Guide, 2017. Johns Hopkins Guides, www.hopkinsguides.com/hopkins/view/Johns_Hopkins_Psychiatry_Guide/787023/all/Hallucinations.
Speed T, Sedlak T. Hallucinations. Johns Hopkins Psychiatry Guide. 2017. https://www.hopkinsguides.com/hopkins/view/Johns_Hopkins_Psychiatry_Guide/787023/all/Hallucinations. Accessed June 2, 2023.
Speed, T., & Sedlak, T. (2017). Hallucinations. In Johns Hopkins Psychiatry Guide https://www.hopkinsguides.com/hopkins/view/Johns_Hopkins_Psychiatry_Guide/787023/all/Hallucinations
Speed T, Sedlak T. Hallucinations [Internet]. In: Johns Hopkins Psychiatry Guide. ; 2017. [cited 2023 June 02]. Available from: https://www.hopkinsguides.com/hopkins/view/Johns_Hopkins_Psychiatry_Guide/787023/all/Hallucinations.
* Article titles in AMA citation format should be in sentence-case
TY - ELEC T1 - Hallucinations ID - 787023 A1 - Speed,Traci,M.D., Ph.D. AU - Sedlak,Thomas,M.D., Ph.D. Y1 - 2017/09/03/ BT - Johns Hopkins Psychiatry Guide UR - https://www.hopkinsguides.com/hopkins/view/Johns_Hopkins_Psychiatry_Guide/787023/all/Hallucinations DB - Johns Hopkins Guides DP - Unbound Medicine ER -