- Defined as 24-hour services that are delivered in a licensed hospital setting
- May be part of a general hospital or an independent psychiatric hospital
- May be private, academic, or state-operated
- Provides clinical intervention for mental health and/or substance use disorders
- Interventions are delivered in a physically secure and safe setting and include:
- A full range of intensive evaluation (diagnostic) services
- Educational and therapeutic services
- The ability to provide acute psychiatric interventions
- Medication titration
- Procedures (e.g., electroconvulsive therapy)
- Behavior monitoring
- Intensive brief psychotherapy
- Social work support
- Admission into this level of care (the highest level of psychiatric care) is to treat serious or dangerous conditions that require rapid stabilization of symptoms, 24-hour nursing supervision, and immediate availability of medical staff.
There's more to see -- the rest of this topic is available only to subscribers.