is a topic covered in the Johns Hopkins HIV Guide
To view the entire topic, please sign in or purchase a subscription.
Official website of the Johns Hopkins Antibiotic (ABX), HIV, Diabetes, and Psychiatry Guides, powered by Unbound Medicine. Johns Hopkins Guide App for iOS, iPhone, iPad, and Android included. Explore these free sample topics:
-- The first section of this topic is shown below --
- Wasting: Unintentional weight loss >10%; may also be defined by unintentional weight loss >5% over 3 months or a BMI < 18.5.
- Wasting syndrome: Unintentional weight loss >10% plus diarrhea or chronic weakness and documented fever for ≥30 days.
- Wasting syndrome is an AIDS-defining condition (category C); wasting is evidence of symptomatic HIV infection (category B).
- Seen during critical illness and hospitalization, may prolong convalescence.
- Likely multifactorial related to a proinflammatory state (with potential associated anorexia), hypogonadism, and malabsorption.
- Must be differentiated from lipoatrophy, which is isolated fat loss (see Lipodystrophy). Wasting/weight loss is consequence of AIDS disease progression and OIs, while lipoatrophy often seen in pts on some less-used ART regimens.
-- To view the remaining sections of this topic, please sign in or purchase a subscription --
Last updated: August 12, 2019
Hoffmann, Christopher J. "Wasting." Johns Hopkins HIV Guide, 2019. Johns Hopkins Guide, www.hopkinsguides.com/hopkins/view/Johns_Hopkins_HIV_Guide/545221/all/Wasting.
Hoffmann CJ. Wasting. Johns Hopkins HIV Guide. 2019. https://www.hopkinsguides.com/hopkins/view/Johns_Hopkins_HIV_Guide/545221/all/Wasting. Accessed November 20, 2019.
Hoffmann, C. J. (2019). Wasting. In Johns Hopkins HIV Guide. Available from https://www.hopkinsguides.com/hopkins/view/Johns_Hopkins_HIV_Guide/545221/all/Wasting
Hoffmann CJ. Wasting [Internet]. In: Johns Hopkins HIV Guide. ; 2019. [cited 2019 November 20]. Available from: https://www.hopkinsguides.com/hopkins/view/Johns_Hopkins_HIV_Guide/545221/all/Wasting.
TY - ELEC
T1 - Wasting
ID - 545221
A1 - Hoffmann,Christopher,M.D., M.P.H.
Y1 - 2019/08/12/
BT - Johns Hopkins HIV Guide
UR - https://www.hopkinsguides.com/hopkins/view/Johns_Hopkins_HIV_Guide/545221/all/Wasting
DB - Johns Hopkins Guide
DP - Unbound Medicine