Type your tag names separated by a space and hit enter
Official website of the Johns Hopkins Antibiotic (ABX), HIV, Diabetes, and Psychiatry Guides, powered by Unbound Medicine. Johns Hopkins Guide App for iOS, iPhone, iPad, and Android included. Explore these free sample topics:
-- The first section of this topic is shown below --
- Wasting: Unintentional weight loss >10%; may also be defined by unintentional weight loss >5% over 3 months or a BMI < 18.5.
- Wasting syndrome: Unintentional weight loss >10% plus diarrhea or chronic weakness and documented fever for ≥30 days.
- Wasting syndrome is an AIDS-defining condition (category C); wasting is evidence of symptomatic HIV infection (category B).
- Seen during critical illness and hospitalization, may prolong convalescence.
- Likely multifactorial related to a proinflammatory state (with potential associated anorexia), hypogonadism, and malabsorption.
- Must be differentiated from lipoatrophy, which is isolated fat loss (see Lipodystrophy). Wasting/weight loss is consequence of AIDS disease progression and OIs, while lipoatrophy often seen in pts on some less used ART regimens.