- Wasting: Unintentional weight loss >10%; may also be defined by unintentional weight loss >5% over 3 months or a BMI < 18.5.
- Wasting syndrome: Unintentional weight loss >10% plus diarrhea or chronic weakness and documented fever for ≥30 days.
- Wasting syndrome is an AIDS-defining condition (category C); wasting is evidence of symptomatic HIV infection (category B).
- Seen during critical illness and hospitalization, may prolong convalescence.
- Likely multifactorial related to a proinflammatory state (with potential associated anorexia), hypogonadism, and malabsorption.
- Must be differentiated from lipoatrophy, which is isolated fat loss (see Lipodystrophy). Wasting/weight loss is consequence of AIDS disease progression and OIs, while lipoatrophy often seen in pts on some less-used ART regimens.
There's more to see -- the rest of this topic is available only to subscribers.