is a topic covered in the Johns Hopkins HIV Guide
To view the entire topic, please sign in or purchase a subscription.
Official website of the Johns Hopkins Antibiotic (ABX), HIV, Diabetes, and Psychiatry Guides, powered by Unbound Medicine. Johns Hopkins Guide App for iOS, iPhone, iPad, and Android included. Explore these free sample topics:
-- The first section of this topic is shown below --
- 1-yr incidence ranges from 1.7% with asymptomatic HIV to 3.1% with CD4-define AIDS to 8.7% with AIDS-defining illness.
- Increased risk with decreasing CD4, injection drug use, African-American race, anemia. Other causes include alcohol abuse, sulfonamides, thiazides, folate and vitamin B12 deficiency, IV cocaine, and liver cirrhosis.
- Idiopathic thrombocytopenic purpura (ITP) a major cause. Production of autoantibodies against certain platelet antigens (PA-IgG). Antibody-coated platelets removed by macrophages in the spleen.
- Increased risk of bleeding with PLT < 10,000-20,000.
- Heparin-induced thrombocytopenia may be more common in HIV-infected than uninfected.
- Uncommon with current ART (1-3% with plt < 50,000); more common if uncontrolled HIV replication and with viral hepatitis coinfection
-- To view the remaining sections of this topic, please sign in or purchase a subscription --
Last updated: February 1, 2015
Moore, Richard D. "Thrombocytopenia." Johns Hopkins HIV Guide, 2015. Johns Hopkins Guide, www.hopkinsguides.com/hopkins/view/Johns_Hopkins_HIV_Guide/545203/all/Thrombocytopenia.
Moore RD. Thrombocytopenia. Johns Hopkins HIV Guide. 2015. https://www.hopkinsguides.com/hopkins/view/Johns_Hopkins_HIV_Guide/545203/all/Thrombocytopenia. Accessed October 17, 2019.
Moore, R. D. (2015). Thrombocytopenia. In Johns Hopkins HIV Guide. Available from https://www.hopkinsguides.com/hopkins/view/Johns_Hopkins_HIV_Guide/545203/all/Thrombocytopenia
Moore RD. Thrombocytopenia [Internet]. In: Johns Hopkins HIV Guide. ; 2015. [cited 2019 October 17]. Available from: https://www.hopkinsguides.com/hopkins/view/Johns_Hopkins_HIV_Guide/545203/all/Thrombocytopenia.
TY - ELEC
T1 - Thrombocytopenia
ID - 545203
A1 - Moore,Richard,M.D.
Y1 - 2015/02/01/
BT - Johns Hopkins HIV Guide
UR - https://www.hopkinsguides.com/hopkins/view/Johns_Hopkins_HIV_Guide/545203/all/Thrombocytopenia
DB - Johns Hopkins Guide
DP - Unbound Medicine