Primary HIV Infection
is a topic covered in the Johns Hopkins HIV Guide
To view the entire topic, please sign in or purchase a subscription.
Official website of the Johns Hopkins Antibiotic (ABX), HIV, Diabetes, and Psychiatry Guides, powered by Unbound Medicine. Johns Hopkins Guide App for iOS, iPhone, iPad, and Android included. Explore these free sample topics:
-- The first section of this topic is shown below --
- HIV-1 and HIV-2 (HIV-2 predominantly found in West Africa; also Mozambique and India).
- HIV-1 divided into 3 groups: M (Main) group (worldwide distribution); O (Outlier) group (primarily West Africa), and N (Non-O, Non-M) group (Cameroon).
- M group further divided into subtypes or clades designated A-K.
- HIV-1 group M subtype B is predominant cause of HIV-1 infection in U.S.
- Majority of HIV sexually transmitted with MSM the major mode in U.S. Heterosexual sex is the major mode globally. Injection drug use and mother-to-child transmission are also important modes of infection.
- A "primary HIV-like" syndrome can occur after discontinuation of ART in 5% of individuals.
-- To view the remaining sections of this topic, please sign in or purchase a subscription --
Last updated: July 31, 2016
Hoffmann, Christopher. "Primary HIV Infection." Johns Hopkins HIV Guide, 2016. Johns Hopkins Guide, www.hopkinsguides.com/hopkins/view/Johns_Hopkins_HIV_Guide/545171/all/Primary_HIV_Infection.
Hoffmann C. Primary HIV Infection. Johns Hopkins HIV Guide. 2016. https://www.hopkinsguides.com/hopkins/view/Johns_Hopkins_HIV_Guide/545171/all/Primary_HIV_Infection. Accessed December 12, 2019.
Hoffmann, C. (2016). Primary HIV Infection. In Johns Hopkins HIV Guide. Available from https://www.hopkinsguides.com/hopkins/view/Johns_Hopkins_HIV_Guide/545171/all/Primary_HIV_Infection
Hoffmann C. Primary HIV Infection [Internet]. In: Johns Hopkins HIV Guide. ; 2016. [cited 2019 December 12]. Available from: https://www.hopkinsguides.com/hopkins/view/Johns_Hopkins_HIV_Guide/545171/all/Primary_HIV_Infection.
TY - ELEC
T1 - Primary HIV Infection
ID - 545171
A1 - Hoffmann,Christopher,M.D., M.P.H.
Y1 - 2016/07/31/
BT - Johns Hopkins HIV Guide
UR - https://www.hopkinsguides.com/hopkins/view/Johns_Hopkins_HIV_Guide/545171/all/Primary_HIV_Infection
DB - Johns Hopkins Guide
DP - Unbound Medicine