Type your tag names separated by a space and hit enter
Primary HIV Infection
Official website of the Johns Hopkins Antibiotic (ABX), HIV, Diabetes, and Psychiatry Guides, powered by Unbound Medicine. Johns Hopkins Guide App for iOS, iPhone, iPad, and Android included. Explore these free sample topics:
-- The first section of this topic is shown below --
- HIV-1 and HIV-2 (HIV-2 predominantly found in West Africa; also Mozambique and India).
- HIV-1 divided into 3 groups: M (Main) group (worldwide distribution); O (Outlier) group (primarily West Africa), and N (Non-O, Non-M) group (Cameroon).
- M group further divided into subtypes or clades designated A-K.
- HIV-1 group M subtype B is predominant cause of HIV-1 infection in U.S.
- Majority of HIV sexually transmitted with MSM the major mode in U.S. Heterosexual sex is the major mode globally. Injection drug use and mother-to-child transmission are also important modes of infection.
- A "primary HIV-like" syndrome can occur after discontinuation of ART in 5% of individuals.