is a topic covered in the Johns Hopkins HIV Guide
To view the entire topic, please sign in or purchase a subscription.
Official website of the Johns Hopkins Antibiotic (ABX), HIV, Diabetes, and Psychiatry Guides, powered by Unbound Medicine. Johns Hopkins Guide App for iOS, iPhone, iPad, and Android included. Explore these free sample topics:
-- The first section of this topic is shown below --
- Pneumothorax (PTX) defined by air in pleural space, either due to entry from outside chest wall or leakage from lung parenchyma.
- In HIV, occurs most often in setting of Pneumocystis pneumonia (PCP). Spontaneous PTX in AIDS pt should prompt workup for PCP.
- PCP-associated PTX independently associated with greater mortality.
- Spontaneous PTX in pts with AIDS can also occur with TB, COPD, pulmonary cryptococcosis, coccidioidomycosis , and lymphoid interstitial pneumonitis.
- Iatrogenic causes: central venous line placement, thoracentesis, bronchoscopy, liver Bx
- Presenting Sx: pleuritic chest pain, dyspnea, cough
- PE: Tachycardia, tachypnea, hypoxia, hyper-resonance or decreased breath sounds over one lung field. Some pts may not have any signs or Sx beyond those of pneumonia.
- Higher incidence in males, cigarette smokers, pts on aerosolized pentamidine prophylaxis, pts w/ pneumatoceles on CXR, injection drug users, pts on mechanical ventilation.
-- To view the remaining sections of this topic, please sign in or purchase a subscription --
Last updated: September 3, 2015
Gallant, Joel E, and Patrick R Sosnay. "Pneumothorax." Johns Hopkins HIV Guide, 2015. Johns Hopkins Guide, www.hopkinsguides.com/hopkins/view/Johns_Hopkins_HIV_Guide/545166/all/Pneumothorax.
Gallant JE, Sosnay PR. Pneumothorax. Johns Hopkins HIV Guide. 2015. https://www.hopkinsguides.com/hopkins/view/Johns_Hopkins_HIV_Guide/545166/all/Pneumothorax. Accessed August 21, 2019.
Gallant, J. E., & Sosnay, P. R. (2015). Pneumothorax. In Johns Hopkins HIV Guide. Available from https://www.hopkinsguides.com/hopkins/view/Johns_Hopkins_HIV_Guide/545166/all/Pneumothorax
Gallant JE, Sosnay PR. Pneumothorax [Internet]. In: Johns Hopkins HIV Guide. ; 2015. [cited 2019 August 21]. Available from: https://www.hopkinsguides.com/hopkins/view/Johns_Hopkins_HIV_Guide/545166/all/Pneumothorax.
TY - ELEC
T1 - Pneumothorax
ID - 545166
A1 - Gallant,Joel,M.D., M.P.H.
AU - Sosnay,Patrick,M.D.
Y1 - 2015/09/03/
BT - Johns Hopkins HIV Guide
UR - https://www.hopkinsguides.com/hopkins/view/Johns_Hopkins_HIV_Guide/545166/all/Pneumothorax
DB - Johns Hopkins Guide
DP - Unbound Medicine