- Pneumothorax (PTX) defined by air in pleural space, either due to entry from outside chest wall or leakage from lung parenchyma.
- In HIV, occurs most often in setting of Pneumocystis pneumonia (PCP). Spontaneous PTX in AIDS pt should prompt workup for PCP.
- PCP-associated PTX independently associated with greater mortality.
- Spontaneous PTX in pts with AIDS can also occur with TB, COPD, pulmonary cryptococcosis, coccidioidomycosis , and lymphoid interstitial pneumonitis.
- Iatrogenic causes: central venous line placement, thoracentesis, bronchoscopy, liver Bx
- Presenting Sx: pleuritic chest pain, dyspnea, cough
- PE: Tachycardia, tachypnea, hypoxia, hyper-resonance or decreased breath sounds over one lung field. Some pts may not have any signs or Sx beyond those of pneumonia.
- Higher incidence in males, cigarette smokers, pts on aerosolized pentamidine prophylaxis, pts w/ pneumatoceles on CXR, injection drug users, pts on mechanical ventilation.
There's more to see -- the rest of this topic is available only to subscribers.
Last updated: September 3, 2015
Gallant, Joel E, and Patrick R Sosnay. "Pneumothorax." Johns Hopkins HIV Guide, 2015. Johns Hopkins Guides, www.hopkinsguides.com/hopkins/view/Johns_Hopkins_HIV_Guide/545166/all/Pneumothorax.
Gallant JE, Sosnay PR. Pneumothorax. Johns Hopkins HIV Guide. 2015. https://www.hopkinsguides.com/hopkins/view/Johns_Hopkins_HIV_Guide/545166/all/Pneumothorax. Accessed November 29, 2023.
Gallant, J. E., & Sosnay, P. R. (2015). Pneumothorax. In Johns Hopkins HIV Guide https://www.hopkinsguides.com/hopkins/view/Johns_Hopkins_HIV_Guide/545166/all/Pneumothorax
Gallant JE, Sosnay PR. Pneumothorax [Internet]. In: Johns Hopkins HIV Guide. ; 2015. [cited 2023 November 29]. Available from: https://www.hopkinsguides.com/hopkins/view/Johns_Hopkins_HIV_Guide/545166/all/Pneumothorax.
TY - ELEC
T1 - Pneumothorax
ID - 545166
A1 - Gallant,Joel,M.D., M.P.H.
AU - Sosnay,Patrick,M.D.
Y1 - 2015/09/03/
BT - Johns Hopkins HIV Guide
UR - https://www.hopkinsguides.com/hopkins/view/Johns_Hopkins_HIV_Guide/545166/all/Pneumothorax
DB - Johns Hopkins Guides
DP - Unbound Medicine