is a topic covered in the Johns Hopkins HIV Guide
To view the entire topic, please sign in or purchase a subscription.
Official website of the Johns Hopkins Antibiotic (ABX), HIV, Diabetes, and Psychiatry Guides, powered by Unbound Medicine. Johns Hopkins Guide App for iOS, iPhone, iPad, and Android included. Explore these free sample topics:
-- The first section of this topic is shown below --
- Osteoporosis in HIV+ pts 3-4x more common than in general population.
- Increased prevalence may be due in part to high prevalence of risk factors, including low body weight, hypogonadism, smoking, alcohol use, steroid use.
- Role of ART unclear. ART initiation associated with 2-3% loss in bone mineral density (BMD) in first 6 mos in multiple studies. Unclear if due to medication effect or by-product of viral suppression and/or immune reconstitution. Longitudinal studies of treated HIV+ pts generally show stable BMD over time.
- Specific ARVs not clearly implicated in pathogenesis, although bone loss with TDF slightly more pronounced than with d4T.
- BMD explains approximately 50% of fracture risk in general population,perhaps less in HIV+ pts. Bone quality also important but difficult to assess.
- Fracture risk in HIV+ pts not adequately assessed to date
-- To view the remaining sections of this topic, please sign in or purchase a subscription --
Last updated: February 2, 2011
Brown, Todd T. "Osteoporosis." Johns Hopkins HIV Guide, 2011. Johns Hopkins Guide, www.hopkinsguides.com/hopkins/view/Johns_Hopkins_HIV_Guide/545154/3/Osteoporosis.
Brown TT. Osteoporosis. Johns Hopkins HIV Guide. 2011. https://www.hopkinsguides.com/hopkins/view/Johns_Hopkins_HIV_Guide/545154/3/Osteoporosis. Accessed December 14, 2019.
Brown, T. T. (2011). Osteoporosis. In Johns Hopkins HIV Guide. Available from https://www.hopkinsguides.com/hopkins/view/Johns_Hopkins_HIV_Guide/545154/3/Osteoporosis
Brown TT. Osteoporosis [Internet]. In: Johns Hopkins HIV Guide. ; 2011. [cited 2019 December 14]. Available from: https://www.hopkinsguides.com/hopkins/view/Johns_Hopkins_HIV_Guide/545154/3/Osteoporosis.
TY - ELEC
T1 - Osteoporosis
ID - 545154
A1 - Brown,Todd,M.D., Ph.D.
Y1 - 2011/02/02/
BT - Johns Hopkins HIV Guide
UR - https://www.hopkinsguides.com/hopkins/view/Johns_Hopkins_HIV_Guide/545154/3/Osteoporosis
DB - Johns Hopkins Guide
DP - Unbound Medicine