Type your tag names separated by a space and hit enter
Official website of the Johns Hopkins Antibiotic (ABX), HIV, Diabetes, and Psychiatry Guides, powered by Unbound Medicine. Johns Hopkins Guide App for iOS, iPhone, iPad, and Android included. Explore these free sample topics:
-- The first section of this topic is shown below --
- Multiple causes, including HIV infection, inflammatory cytokines, drugs (AZT, ganciclovir, foscarnet, amphotericin, flucytosine, sulfonamides, pyrimethamine, pentamidine, interferon-alfa), OIs with bone marrow replacement, chemotherapy for malignancy.
- HIV can cause decreased growth of progenitor cell, CFU-GM; decreased endogenous G-CSF.
- Prevalence ranges from 10% in asymptomatic HIV, 40-50% with AIDS.
- Increased risk of bacterial and fungal infection with absolute neutrophil count (ANC) < 750, but absolute risk relatively low. Greatest risk for infection and hospitalization with ANC < 500.
- Neutropenia (< 1000) not associated with decreased survival in HIV+ women (possibly in men, but not studied)