is a topic covered in the Johns Hopkins HIV Guide
To view the entire topic, please sign in or purchase a subscription.
Official website of the Johns Hopkins Antibiotic (ABX), HIV, Diabetes, and Psychiatry Guides, powered by Unbound Medicine. Johns Hopkins Guide App for iOS, iPhone, iPad, and Android included. Explore these free sample topics:
-- The first section of this topic is shown below --
- Multiple causes, including HIV infection, inflammatory cytokines, drugs (AZT, ganciclovir, foscarnet, amphotericin, flucytosine, sulfonamides, pyrimethamine, pentamidine, interferon-alfa), OIs with bone marrow replacement, chemotherapy for malignancy.
- HIV can cause decreased growth of progenitor cell, CFU-GM; decreased endogenous G-CSF.
- Prevalence ranges from 10% in asymptomatic HIV, 40-50% with AIDS.
- Increased risk of bacterial and fungal infection with absolute neutrophil count (ANC) < 750, but absolute risk relatively low. Greatest risk for infection and hospitalization with ANC < 500.
- Neutropenia (< 1000) not associated with decreased survival in HIV+ women (possibly in men, but not studied)
-- To view the remaining sections of this topic, please sign in or purchase a subscription --
Last updated: February 1, 2015
Moore, Richard D. "Neutropenia." Johns Hopkins HIV Guide, 2015. Johns Hopkins Guide, www.hopkinsguides.com/hopkins/view/Johns_Hopkins_HIV_Guide/545147/0/Neutropenia.
Moore RD. Neutropenia. Johns Hopkins HIV Guide. 2015. https://www.hopkinsguides.com/hopkins/view/Johns_Hopkins_HIV_Guide/545147/0/Neutropenia. Accessed September 15, 2019.
Moore, R. D. (2015). Neutropenia. In Johns Hopkins HIV Guide. Available from https://www.hopkinsguides.com/hopkins/view/Johns_Hopkins_HIV_Guide/545147/0/Neutropenia
Moore RD. Neutropenia [Internet]. In: Johns Hopkins HIV Guide. ; 2015. [cited 2019 September 15]. Available from: https://www.hopkinsguides.com/hopkins/view/Johns_Hopkins_HIV_Guide/545147/0/Neutropenia.
TY - ELEC
T1 - Neutropenia
ID - 545147
A1 - Moore,Richard,M.D.
Y1 - 2015/02/01/
BT - Johns Hopkins HIV Guide
UR - https://www.hopkinsguides.com/hopkins/view/Johns_Hopkins_HIV_Guide/545147/0/Neutropenia
DB - Johns Hopkins Guide
DP - Unbound Medicine