is a topic covered in the Johns Hopkins HIV Guide
To view the entire topic, please sign in or purchase a subscription.
Official website of the Johns Hopkins Antibiotic (ABX), HIV, Diabetes, and Psychiatry Guides, powered by Unbound Medicine. Johns Hopkins Guide App for iOS, iPhone, iPad, and Android included. Explore these free sample topics:
-- The first section of this topic is shown below --
- Non-motile, non-spore-forming, Gram-negative diplococcus
- Infects cuboidal and columnar epithelium leading to a vigorous inflammatory response
- Selective growth media (Thayer-Martin & New York City) most common; Cx routinely available in Dx of GC infection in settings that can process specimens appropriately. Swabs from urethral, cervical, rectal, pharyngeal, and ocular sites can be Cx’d.
- Non-amplified molecular testing, including EIA and DNA hybridization probes, may be used. Cervical and urethral swabs can be tested.
- Nucleic acid amplification tests (NAATs) are the gold standard and may be performed on urethral swabs, cervical swabs, urine, self-collected vaginal swabs, and rectal and pharyngeal swabs (not FDA approved for rectal and pharyngeal, although excellent test performance).
-- To view the remaining sections of this topic, please sign in or purchase a subscription --
Last updated: March 2, 2017
Lippincott, Christopher, and Khalil G Ghanem. "Neisseria Gonorrhoeae." Johns Hopkins HIV Guide, 2017. Johns Hopkins Guide, www.hopkinsguides.com/hopkins/view/Johns_Hopkins_HIV_Guide/545143/all/Neisseria_gonorrhoeae.
Lippincott C, Ghanem KG. Neisseria gonorrhoeae. Johns Hopkins HIV Guide. 2017. https://www.hopkinsguides.com/hopkins/view/Johns_Hopkins_HIV_Guide/545143/all/Neisseria_gonorrhoeae. Accessed July 18, 2019.
Lippincott, C., & Ghanem, K. G. (2017). Neisseria gonorrhoeae. In Johns Hopkins HIV Guide. Available from https://www.hopkinsguides.com/hopkins/view/Johns_Hopkins_HIV_Guide/545143/all/Neisseria_gonorrhoeae
Lippincott C, Ghanem KG. Neisseria Gonorrhoeae [Internet]. In: Johns Hopkins HIV Guide. ; 2017. [cited 2019 July 18]. Available from: https://www.hopkinsguides.com/hopkins/view/Johns_Hopkins_HIV_Guide/545143/all/Neisseria_gonorrhoeae.
TY - ELEC
T1 - Neisseria gonorrhoeae
ID - 545143
A1 - Lippincott,Christopher,M.D.
AU - Ghanem,Khalil,M.D.
Y1 - 2017/03/02/
BT - Johns Hopkins HIV Guide
UR - https://www.hopkinsguides.com/hopkins/view/Johns_Hopkins_HIV_Guide/545143/all/Neisseria_gonorrhoeae
DB - Johns Hopkins Guide
DP - Unbound Medicine