- Microsporidia are fungi and endoparasites related to Cryptomycota. They are obligate intracellular organisms that spread via spores. Microsporidia behave as protozoa; they possess a defining characteristic called a "polar tube" that coils around the sporoplasm inside of the spore and during germination, the polar tube everts to bring the sporoplasm into contact with the host cell.
- Most commonly identified with human disease:
- Enterocytozoon bieneusi and Encephalitozoon intestinalis (syn. Septata intestinalis) are etiology of majority of infections.
- Encephalitozoon hellem, E. cuniculi
- Vittaforma corneae
- Nosema ocularum
- Trachipleistophora hominis, T. anthropothera
- Anncaliia algerae, A. connori, A. vesicularum
- Pleistophora spp
- Microsporidium spp
- Sources of infection and modes of transmission, likely zoonotic with pigs, cattle, donkeys, birds, and mosquitoes as reservoirs, and/or waterborne.
- Spores are quite resistant to environmental conditions and can persist in environment for years, particularly if protected from desiccation.
There's more to see -- the rest of this topic is available only to subscribers.
Last updated: August 12, 2019
Spacek, Lisa A. "Microsporidiosis." Johns Hopkins HIV Guide, 2019. Johns Hopkins Guides, www.hopkinsguides.com/hopkins/view/Johns_Hopkins_HIV_Guide/545132/all/Microsporidiosis.
Spacek LA. Microsporidiosis. Johns Hopkins HIV Guide. 2019. https://www.hopkinsguides.com/hopkins/view/Johns_Hopkins_HIV_Guide/545132/all/Microsporidiosis. Accessed June 7, 2023.
Spacek, L. A. (2019). Microsporidiosis. In Johns Hopkins HIV Guide https://www.hopkinsguides.com/hopkins/view/Johns_Hopkins_HIV_Guide/545132/all/Microsporidiosis
Spacek LA. Microsporidiosis [Internet]. In: Johns Hopkins HIV Guide. ; 2019. [cited 2023 June 07]. Available from: https://www.hopkinsguides.com/hopkins/view/Johns_Hopkins_HIV_Guide/545132/all/Microsporidiosis.
* Article titles in AMA citation format should be in sentence-case
TY - ELEC T1 - Microsporidiosis ID - 545132 A1 - Spacek,Lisa,M.D., Ph.D. Y1 - 2019/08/12/ BT - Johns Hopkins HIV Guide UR - https://www.hopkinsguides.com/hopkins/view/Johns_Hopkins_HIV_Guide/545132/all/Microsporidiosis DB - Johns Hopkins Guides DP - Unbound Medicine ER -