Official website of the Johns Hopkins Antibiotic (ABX), HIV, Diabetes, and Psychiatry Guides, powered by Unbound Medicine. Johns Hopkins Guide App for iOS, iPhone, iPad, and Android included. Explore these free sample topics:
-- The first section of this topic is shown below --
- Microsporidia is general term for obligate intracellular eukaryotic parasites belonging to phylum Microsporidia.
- Most commonly identified with human disease:
- Enterocytozoon bieneusi
- Encephalitozoon hellem, Encephalitozoon cuniculi & Encephalitozoon intestinalis (syn. Septata intestinalis)
- Vittaforma corneae
- Sources of infection & modes of transmission, likely zoonotic and/or waterborne.
- Spores are quite resistant to environmental conditions and can remain infectious for several years, particularly if protected from desiccation.