Type your tag names separated by a space and hit enter
Official website of the Johns Hopkins Antibiotic (ABX), HIV, Diabetes, and Psychiatry Guides, powered by Unbound Medicine. Johns Hopkins Guide App for iOS, iPhone, iPad, and Android included. Explore these free sample topics:
-- The first section of this topic is shown below --
- A small non-sporulating, catalase positive, gram-positive bacillus. Grows well at 4-10oC (i.e. refrigerator temperature).
- It may appear as a gram-variable coccus, diplococcus, or diphtheroid.
- Monocytosis-inducing in rabbits, uncommon in humans.
- Widespread in nature; recovered from raw milk, fruits and vegetables, deli meats, and soft cheeses.
- Colonizes colon in adults (5%).
- Transmission is food-borne and vertical, mother to fetus.
- Intracellular pathogen, immunity is T-cell mediated.