is a topic covered in the Johns Hopkins HIV Guide
To view the entire topic, please sign in or purchase a subscription.
Official website of the Johns Hopkins Antibiotic (ABX), HIV, Diabetes, and Psychiatry Guides, powered by Unbound Medicine. Johns Hopkins Guide App for iOS, iPhone, iPad, and Android included. Explore these free sample topics:
-- The first section of this topic is shown below --
- Symptoms: Fatigue, weakness, myalgias, and GI distress, including abdominal pain, abdominal distention, nausea/vomiting, diarrhea. Later can advance to dyspnea, orthostasis, organ failure (hepatic, renal), cardiovascular collapse and death.
- Mortality: 7% with lactate 5-10 mM, 20-30% with lactate 10-15 mM, 50-60% with lactate >15 mM
- Caused by NRTI use: d4T, ddI, AZT. Does not appear to be caused by 3TC, FTC, ABC, TDF, TAF, though listed in package insert as a class effect. Use of d4T and ddI no longer recommended; occurrence now rare.
- Associated with mitochondrial DNA gamma polymerase inhibition and decrease in mitochondrial DNA
- May be accompanied by hepatic steatosis (fatty liver), pancreatitis. Fatal liver failure can occur (earliest reports in AZT-treated patients)
- Increased risk with lower CD4, older age, female sex.
-- To view the remaining sections of this topic, please sign in or purchase a subscription --
Last updated: August 2, 2017
Moore, Richard D. "Lactic Acidosis." Johns Hopkins HIV Guide, 2017. Johns Hopkins Guide, www.hopkinsguides.com/hopkins/view/Johns_Hopkins_HIV_Guide/545115/all/Lactic_Acidosis.
Moore RD. Lactic Acidosis. Johns Hopkins HIV Guide. 2017. https://www.hopkinsguides.com/hopkins/view/Johns_Hopkins_HIV_Guide/545115/all/Lactic_Acidosis. Accessed May 20, 2019.
Moore, R. D. (2017). Lactic Acidosis. In Johns Hopkins HIV Guide. Available from https://www.hopkinsguides.com/hopkins/view/Johns_Hopkins_HIV_Guide/545115/all/Lactic_Acidosis
Moore RD. Lactic Acidosis [Internet]. In: Johns Hopkins HIV Guide. ; 2017. [cited 2019 May 20]. Available from: https://www.hopkinsguides.com/hopkins/view/Johns_Hopkins_HIV_Guide/545115/all/Lactic_Acidosis.
TY - ELEC
T1 - Lactic Acidosis
ID - 545115
A1 - Moore,Richard,M.D.
Y1 - 2017/08/02/
BT - Johns Hopkins HIV Guide
UR - https://www.hopkinsguides.com/hopkins/view/Johns_Hopkins_HIV_Guide/545115/all/Lactic_Acidosis
DB - Johns Hopkins Guide
DP - Unbound Medicine