Official website of the Johns Hopkins Antibiotic (ABX), HIV, Diabetes, and Psychiatry Guides, powered by Unbound Medicine. Johns Hopkins Guide App for iOS, iPhone, iPad, and Android included. Explore these free sample topics:
-- The first section of this topic is shown below --
- Non-enveloped DNA virus that infects stratified squamous epithelium.
- Most infections are self-limited and cleared within 2 yrs, however, oncogenic types may persist and integrate into host DNA to cause cancer.
- Persistence of HPV is linked to immunocompromised states, i.e., HIV and transplantation.
- Cervical cancer is an AIDS-defining malignancy. HPV is known to cause anal, cervical, and vulvovaginal squamous cell cancer.
- HIV-infected MSM estimated 131 cases/100,000 PY, HIV-infected men 46 cases/100,000PY, and HIV-uninfected men 2 cases/100,000 PY of anal cancer.