Official website of the Johns Hopkins Antibiotic (ABX), HIV, Diabetes, and Psychiatry Guides, powered by Unbound Medicine. Johns Hopkins Guide App for iOS, iPhone, iPad, and Android included. Explore these free sample topics:
-- The first section of this topic is shown below --
- Member of Betaherpesviridae, double-stranded DNA virus with envelope; viral DNA polymerase is target for drugs.
- Latency established after infection. 60-100% seroprevalence.
- Reactivation of latent infection (increasing w/ advancing immune suppression) responsible for most HIV-related disease.
- Transmission via saliva, blood, semen, cervical secretions, breast milk, urine, or feces.
- Histology reveals large basophilic intranuclear "owl’s eye" and intracytoplasmic inclusion bodies.