is a topic covered in the Johns Hopkins HIV Guide
To view the entire topic, please sign in or purchase a subscription.
Official website of the Johns Hopkins Antibiotic (ABX), HIV, Diabetes, and Psychiatry Guides, powered by Unbound Medicine. Johns Hopkins Guide App for iOS, iPhone, iPad, and Android included. Explore these free sample topics:
-- The first section of this topic is shown below --
- Obligate intracellular coccidian parasite; infects epithelial cells of small intestine.
- Excreted in stool as oocysts (spherical, 8-10 μm in diameter), which may be shed intermittantly and at low levels. Sporulation (maturation of oocysts) occurs outside host and takes 7-12d.
- Transmitted by fecal-contaminated soil, food and water. Humans only known host and reservoir. Human-to-human transmission unlikely as excreted oocysts must sporulate before becoming infectious.
- Both sporadic infections and outbreaks occur. Infections tend to be seasonal with spring & summer being peak seasons in the U.S., associated with imported raspberries, mixed salad greens, and basil.
- Found in travelers to endemic areas, i.e., Peru, Nepal, Haiti, Guatemala, Indonesia.
-- To view the remaining sections of this topic, please sign in or purchase a subscription --
Last updated: February 24, 2014
Spacek, Lisa. "Cyclospora Cayetanensis." Johns Hopkins HIV Guide, 2014. Johns Hopkins Guide, www.hopkinsguides.com/hopkins/view/Johns_Hopkins_HIV_Guide/545047/all/Cyclospora_cayetanensis.
Spacek L. Cyclospora cayetanensis. Johns Hopkins HIV Guide. 2014. https://www.hopkinsguides.com/hopkins/view/Johns_Hopkins_HIV_Guide/545047/all/Cyclospora_cayetanensis. Accessed May 25, 2019.
Spacek, L. (2014). Cyclospora cayetanensis. In Johns Hopkins HIV Guide. Available from https://www.hopkinsguides.com/hopkins/view/Johns_Hopkins_HIV_Guide/545047/all/Cyclospora_cayetanensis
Spacek L. Cyclospora Cayetanensis [Internet]. In: Johns Hopkins HIV Guide. ; 2014. [cited 2019 May 25]. Available from: https://www.hopkinsguides.com/hopkins/view/Johns_Hopkins_HIV_Guide/545047/all/Cyclospora_cayetanensis.
TY - ELEC
T1 - Cyclospora cayetanensis
ID - 545047
A1 - Spacek,Lisa,M.D., Ph.D.
Y1 - 2014/02/24/
BT - Johns Hopkins HIV Guide
UR - https://www.hopkinsguides.com/hopkins/view/Johns_Hopkins_HIV_Guide/545047/all/Cyclospora_cayetanensis
DB - Johns Hopkins Guide
DP - Unbound Medicine