Johns Hopkins Guides provide diagnosis, management, and treatment guidance for infectious diseases, diabetes, and psychiatric conditions. Explore these free sample topics:
~~ The first section of this topic is shown below ~~
- Dimorphic fungus. One of the "endemic fungi."
- In North America found along Mississippi, Missouri, St. Lawrence and Ohio rivers, and the regions that border Great Lakes in U.S. and Canada.
- Occurs in Africa, and a few cases have been reported in Europe, Mexico, Central and South America, the Middle East and India. Most cases reported in North America.
- Grows as a broad-based budding yeast at 37oC. At 25oC, produces mycelia and can produce conidia.
- Grows in moist soil with acidic pH and high organic content (decaying vegetation, close to water, areas of high humidity).
- Commercially available molecular probe offers rapid identification of culture.