Official website of the Johns Hopkins Antibiotic (ABX), HIV, Diabetes, and Psychiatry Guides, powered by Unbound Medicine. Johns Hopkins Guide App for iOS, iPhone, iPad, and Android included. Explore these free sample topics:
-- The first section of this topic is shown below --
- Dimorphic fungus. One of the "endemic fungi."
- In North America found along Mississippi, Missouri, St. Lawrence and Ohio rivers, and the regions that border Great Lakes in U.S. and Canada.
- Occurs in Africa, and a few cases have been reported in Europe, Mexico, Central and South America, the Middle East and India. Most cases reported in North America.
- Grows as a broad-based budding yeast at 37oC. At 25oC, produces mycelia and can produce conidia.
- Grows in moist soil with acidic pH and high organic content (decaying vegetation, close to water, areas of high humidity).
- Commercially available molecular probe offers rapid identification of culture.