is a topic covered in the Johns Hopkins HIV Guide
To view the entire topic, please sign in or purchase a subscription.
Official website of the Johns Hopkins Antibiotic (ABX), HIV, Diabetes, and Psychiatry Guides, powered by Unbound Medicine. Johns Hopkins Guide App for iOS, iPhone, iPad, and Android included. Explore these free sample topics:
-- The first section of this topic is shown below --
- In general population, ethanol use and glucorticoid use account for 90% of cases. Other associated conditions include lupus, sickle cell disease, organ transplantation, antiphospholipid antibodies, trauma, radiation.
- In HIV+ patients, incidence is 100x that of general population. Asymptomatic disease found in 6%.
- Risk factors include low CD4 nadir, prior AIDS-defining illness, dyslipidemia, and traditional risk factors. Majority of patients exposed to glucocorticoids or megestrol.
- Direct role of ART controversial. Pharmacologic inhibition of CYP3A4 may increase exogenous glucocorticoid exposure.
- Exact pathogenesis is uncertain. Above risk factors may predispose to compromised local blood flow.
-- To view the remaining sections of this topic, please sign in or purchase a subscription --
Last updated: March 10, 2011
Brown, Todd T. "Avascular Necrosis." Johns Hopkins HIV Guide, 2011. Johns Hopkins Guide, www.hopkinsguides.com/hopkins/view/Johns_Hopkins_HIV_Guide/545016/all/Avascular_necrosis.
Brown TT. Avascular necrosis. Johns Hopkins HIV Guide. 2011. https://www.hopkinsguides.com/hopkins/view/Johns_Hopkins_HIV_Guide/545016/all/Avascular_necrosis. Accessed September 15, 2019.
Brown, T. T. (2011). Avascular necrosis. In Johns Hopkins HIV Guide. Available from https://www.hopkinsguides.com/hopkins/view/Johns_Hopkins_HIV_Guide/545016/all/Avascular_necrosis
Brown TT. Avascular Necrosis [Internet]. In: Johns Hopkins HIV Guide. ; 2011. [cited 2019 September 15]. Available from: https://www.hopkinsguides.com/hopkins/view/Johns_Hopkins_HIV_Guide/545016/all/Avascular_necrosis.
TY - ELEC
T1 - Avascular necrosis
ID - 545016
A1 - Brown,Todd,M.D., Ph.D.
Y1 - 2011/03/10/
BT - Johns Hopkins HIV Guide
UR - https://www.hopkinsguides.com/hopkins/view/Johns_Hopkins_HIV_Guide/545016/all/Avascular_necrosis
DB - Johns Hopkins Guide
DP - Unbound Medicine