Type your tag names separated by a space and hit enter
Official website of the Johns Hopkins Antibiotic (ABX), HIV, Diabetes, and Psychiatry Guides, powered by Unbound Medicine. Johns Hopkins Guide App for iOS, iPhone, iPad, and Android included. Explore these free sample topics:
-- The first section of this topic is shown below --
- In general population, ethanol use and glucorticoid use account for 90% of cases. Other associated conditions include lupus, sickle cell disease, organ transplantation, antiphospholipid antibodies, trauma, radiation.
- In HIV+ patients, incidence is 100x that of general population. Asymptomatic disease found in 6%.
- Risk factors include low CD4 nadir, prior AIDS-defining illness, dyslipidemia, and traditional risk factors. Majority of patients exposed to glucocorticoids or megestrol.
- Direct role of ART controversial. Pharmacologic inhibition of CYP3A4 may increase exogenous glucocorticoid exposure.
- Exact pathogenesis is uncertain. Above risk factors may predispose to compromised local blood flow.