Algorithms for Screening and Management of Diabetic Kidney Disease
- Diabetic nephropathy (DN) of diabetic kidney disease is one of the most common microvascular complications of diabetes occurring in 20-40% of patients with diabetes.
- ≤ 12% of patients with type 1 diabetes have evidence of kidney disease by 7 years.
- 25% of patients with type 2 diabetes have evidence of kidney disease by 10 years.
- A family history of parental hypertension is a risk factor for developing DN.
- Screening to identify DN and initial treatment is commonly performed by primary care providers and endocrinologists.
- Appropriate and timely referral of patients to a nephrologist is important to ensure high-level care.
There's more to see -- the rest of this topic is available only to subscribers.
Last updated: September 13, 2018
Knicely, Daphne H, et al. "Algorithms for Screening and Management of Diabetic Kidney Disease." Johns Hopkins Diabetes Guide, 2018. Johns Hopkins Guides, www.hopkinsguides.com/hopkins/view/Johns_Hopkins_Diabetes_Guide/547190/all/Algorithms_for_Screening_and_Management_of_Diabetic_Kidney_Disease.
Knicely DH, Corriere MD, Myers D. Algorithms for Screening and Management of Diabetic Kidney Disease. Johns Hopkins Diabetes Guide. 2018. https://www.hopkinsguides.com/hopkins/view/Johns_Hopkins_Diabetes_Guide/547190/all/Algorithms_for_Screening_and_Management_of_Diabetic_Kidney_Disease. Accessed June 2, 2023.
Knicely, D. H., Corriere, M. D., & Myers, D. (2018). Algorithms for Screening and Management of Diabetic Kidney Disease. In Johns Hopkins Diabetes Guide https://www.hopkinsguides.com/hopkins/view/Johns_Hopkins_Diabetes_Guide/547190/all/Algorithms_for_Screening_and_Management_of_Diabetic_Kidney_Disease
Knicely DH, Corriere MD, Myers D. Algorithms for Screening and Management of Diabetic Kidney Disease [Internet]. In: Johns Hopkins Diabetes Guide. ; 2018. [cited 2023 June 02]. Available from: https://www.hopkinsguides.com/hopkins/view/Johns_Hopkins_Diabetes_Guide/547190/all/Algorithms_for_Screening_and_Management_of_Diabetic_Kidney_Disease.
* Article titles in AMA citation format should be in sentence-case
TY - ELEC T1 - Algorithms for Screening and Management of Diabetic Kidney Disease ID - 547190 A1 - Knicely,Daphne,M.D. AU - Corriere,Mark,M.D. AU - Myers,Donna,M.D. Y1 - 2018/09/13/ BT - Johns Hopkins Diabetes Guide UR - https://www.hopkinsguides.com/hopkins/view/Johns_Hopkins_Diabetes_Guide/547190/all/Algorithms_for_Screening_and_Management_of_Diabetic_Kidney_Disease DB - Johns Hopkins Guides DP - Unbound Medicine ER -