Point-of-care HbA1c machines
is a topic covered in the Johns Hopkins Diabetes Guide
To view the entire topic, please sign in or purchase a subscription.
Official website of the Johns Hopkins Antibiotic (ABX), HIV, Diabetes, and Psychiatry Guides, powered by Unbound Medicine. Johns Hopkins Guide App for iOS, iPhone, iPad, and Android included. Explore these free sample topics:
-- The first section of this topic is shown below --
- Commercially available laboratory-based hemoglobin A1c testing became available in 1978.
- Point-of-care (POC) hemoglobin A1c testing became available in the 1990s and has increased over the last decade.
- Point-of-care testing allows for testing in the office (or home use) and requires a small amount of blood via a finger prick (similar to a glucometer). Results are generally available within 10 minutes.
- Most POC HbA1c testing has waived status from the Clinical Laboratory Improvement Amendments (CLIA), which means the Food and Drug Administration and Centers for Disease Control and Prevention deem the test to be so simple that there is little risk of error. No specific training is needed to operate the machine. Users of the machine are exempt from other CLIA requirements and inspections.
- A sampling of commonly available machines is listed below.
-- To view the remaining sections of this topic, please sign in or purchase a subscription --
Last updated: March 3, 2019
Sarkar, Sudipa, et al. "Point-of-care HbA1c Machines." Johns Hopkins Diabetes Guide, 2019. Johns Hopkins Guide, www.hopkinsguides.com/hopkins/view/Johns_Hopkins_Diabetes_Guide/547180/all/Point_of_care_HbA1c_machines.
Sarkar S, Corriere MD, Kalyani RR. Point-of-care HbA1c machines. Johns Hopkins Diabetes Guide. 2019. https://www.hopkinsguides.com/hopkins/view/Johns_Hopkins_Diabetes_Guide/547180/all/Point_of_care_HbA1c_machines. Accessed June 17, 2019.
Sarkar, S., Corriere, M. D., & Kalyani, R. R. (2019). Point-of-care HbA1c machines. In Johns Hopkins Diabetes Guide. Available from https://www.hopkinsguides.com/hopkins/view/Johns_Hopkins_Diabetes_Guide/547180/all/Point_of_care_HbA1c_machines
Sarkar S, Corriere MD, Kalyani RR. Point-of-care HbA1c Machines [Internet]. In: Johns Hopkins Diabetes Guide. ; 2019. [cited 2019 June 17]. Available from: https://www.hopkinsguides.com/hopkins/view/Johns_Hopkins_Diabetes_Guide/547180/all/Point_of_care_HbA1c_machines.
TY - ELEC
T1 - Point-of-care HbA1c machines
ID - 547180
A1 - Sarkar,Sudipa,M.D.
AU - Corriere,Mark,M.D.
AU - Kalyani,Rita,M.D., M.H.S.
Y1 - 2019/03/03/
BT - Johns Hopkins Diabetes Guide
UR - https://www.hopkinsguides.com/hopkins/view/Johns_Hopkins_Diabetes_Guide/547180/all/Point_of_care_HbA1c_machines
DB - Johns Hopkins Guide
DP - Unbound Medicine