Diabetes and Periodontal Disease
is a topic covered in the Johns Hopkins Diabetes Guide
To view the entire topic, please sign in or purchase a subscription.
Official website of the Johns Hopkins Antibiotic (ABX), HIV, Diabetes, and Psychiatry Guides, powered by Unbound Medicine. Johns Hopkins Guide App for iOS, iPhone, iPad, and Android included. Explore these free sample topics:
-- The first section of this topic is shown below --
- Periodontitis: a common complex chronic inflammatory disease characterized by destruction of the supporting structures of the teeth (the periodontal ligament and alveolar bone).
- In its early stages, the condition is typically asymptomatic, and many patients are unaware of the condition until it has progressed enough to result in tooth mobility.
- There are greater than 700 species of bacteria in the oral environment and 100 billion bacteria in the oral biofilm; and is a continuous source of infectious agents that could serve as an important risk factor.
- Periodontal pathogens alone are insufficient to provoke the disease process:a genetically ’susceptible host’ is required.
- There is a clear ’two way’ relationship between the degree of hyperglycemia and severity of periodontitis compared with patients with normal glucose tolerance.
- The inflammatory response is characterized by dysregulated secretion of host-derived mediators of inflammation and tissue breakdown.
- Differences in clinical disease expression are related to both variations in pathogens and host response.
-- To view the remaining sections of this topic, please sign in or purchase a subscription --
Last updated: September 4, 2017
Zeren, Karl J. "Diabetes and Periodontal Disease." Johns Hopkins Diabetes Guide, 2017. Johns Hopkins Guide, www.hopkinsguides.com/hopkins/view/Johns_Hopkins_Diabetes_Guide/547165/all/Diabetes_and_Periodontal_Disease.
Zeren KJ. Diabetes and Periodontal Disease. Johns Hopkins Diabetes Guide. 2017. https://www.hopkinsguides.com/hopkins/view/Johns_Hopkins_Diabetes_Guide/547165/all/Diabetes_and_Periodontal_Disease. Accessed July 24, 2019.
Zeren, K. J. (2017). Diabetes and Periodontal Disease. In Johns Hopkins Diabetes Guide. Available from https://www.hopkinsguides.com/hopkins/view/Johns_Hopkins_Diabetes_Guide/547165/all/Diabetes_and_Periodontal_Disease
Zeren KJ. Diabetes and Periodontal Disease [Internet]. In: Johns Hopkins Diabetes Guide. ; 2017. [cited 2019 July 24]. Available from: https://www.hopkinsguides.com/hopkins/view/Johns_Hopkins_Diabetes_Guide/547165/all/Diabetes_and_Periodontal_Disease.
TY - ELEC
T1 - Diabetes and Periodontal Disease
ID - 547165
A1 - Zeren,Karl,D.D.S.
Y1 - 2017/09/04/
BT - Johns Hopkins Diabetes Guide
UR - https://www.hopkinsguides.com/hopkins/view/Johns_Hopkins_Diabetes_Guide/547165/all/Diabetes_and_Periodontal_Disease
DB - Johns Hopkins Guide
DP - Unbound Medicine