Neurodegenerative Diseases and Mild Cognitive Impairment
- Neurodegenerative diseases include conditions which primarily affect the neurons in the human brain and are more common in persons with diabetes.
- Examples of neurodegenerative diseases are:
- Alzheimer’s disease (AD)
- Vascular dementia
- Parkinson’s disease (PD), dementia with Lewy bodies (DLB), and other PD-related disorders
- Fronto-temporal Dementia
- Prion disease
- Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis
- Huntington’s Disease
- Spinocerebellar ataxia
- Spinal muscular atrophy
- Dementia is defined as a global cognitive and functional decline in the presence of a clear sensorium.
- AD is thought to account for at least 60% of dementia cases and will be the focus of the present discussion.
- Individuals with cognitive impairment at a severity level insufficient for a diagnosis of dementia may be diagnosed with mild cognitive impairment (MCI).
- For RESEARCH PURPOSES ONLY, the term "Preclinical Alzhemier’s disease" has been used to describe individuals who have measurable biomarker changes of AD pathology in the brain, but no symptoms of cognitive impairment.
There's more to see -- the rest of this topic is available only to subscribers.
Last updated: July 4, 2018
Pletnikova, Alexandra, et al. "Neurodegenerative Diseases and Mild Cognitive Impairment." Johns Hopkins Diabetes Guide, 2018. Johns Hopkins Guides, www.hopkinsguides.com/hopkins/view/Johns_Hopkins_Diabetes_Guide/547164/all/Neurodegenerative_Diseases_and_Mild_Cognitive_Impairment.
Pletnikova A, Marano C, Peters ME. Neurodegenerative Diseases and Mild Cognitive Impairment. Johns Hopkins Diabetes Guide. 2018. https://www.hopkinsguides.com/hopkins/view/Johns_Hopkins_Diabetes_Guide/547164/all/Neurodegenerative_Diseases_and_Mild_Cognitive_Impairment. Accessed June 10, 2023.
Pletnikova, A., Marano, C., & Peters, M. E. (2018). Neurodegenerative Diseases and Mild Cognitive Impairment. In Johns Hopkins Diabetes Guide https://www.hopkinsguides.com/hopkins/view/Johns_Hopkins_Diabetes_Guide/547164/all/Neurodegenerative_Diseases_and_Mild_Cognitive_Impairment
Pletnikova A, Marano C, Peters ME. Neurodegenerative Diseases and Mild Cognitive Impairment [Internet]. In: Johns Hopkins Diabetes Guide. ; 2018. [cited 2023 June 10]. Available from: https://www.hopkinsguides.com/hopkins/view/Johns_Hopkins_Diabetes_Guide/547164/all/Neurodegenerative_Diseases_and_Mild_Cognitive_Impairment.
* Article titles in AMA citation format should be in sentence-case
TY - ELEC T1 - Neurodegenerative Diseases and Mild Cognitive Impairment ID - 547164 A1 - Pletnikova,Alexandra,BA AU - Marano,Christopher,M.D. AU - Peters,Matthew,M.D. Y1 - 2018/07/04/ BT - Johns Hopkins Diabetes Guide UR - https://www.hopkinsguides.com/hopkins/view/Johns_Hopkins_Diabetes_Guide/547164/all/Neurodegenerative_Diseases_and_Mild_Cognitive_Impairment DB - Johns Hopkins Guides DP - Unbound Medicine ER -