Non-nutritive and Nutritive Sweeteners
- Nutritive sweeteners contain carbohydrate and provide energy.
- Nutritive sweeteners are often termed sugars, added sugars, or caloric sweeteners.
- Sugars are found naturally in fruits, dairy products, and some vegetables.
- Sugars are also added to foods and beverages during processing and by the consumer before consumption.
- The names of sugar commonly found in food includes: glucose, fructose, galactose, sucrose, maltose, lactose, corn-based sweeteners, honey, molasses, agave nectar, and fruit juice concentrates.
- Sugar alcohols (polyols) contain about half the calories of sugar and are used as lower-calorie sweeteners.
- The names of sugar alcohols are: erythritol, sorbitol, glycerol (also known as glycerin or glycerine), hydrogenated starch hydrolysates, isomalt, lactitol, maltitol, mannitol, and xylitol.
Nonnutritive sweeteners (NNS)
- Have a higher intensity sweetness per gram than nutritive sweeteners.
- Only needed in small quantities so they provide very few or no calories.
- Also referred to as artificial sweeteners, sugar substitutes, low-calorie sweeteners, high-intensity sweeteners, or noncaloric sweeteners.
There's more to see -- the rest of this topic is available only to subscribers.
Last updated: October 9, 2020
McKinney, Christine, and Thomas Donner. "Non-nutritive and Nutritive Sweeteners." Johns Hopkins Diabetes Guide, 2020. Johns Hopkins Guides, www.hopkinsguides.com/hopkins/view/Johns_Hopkins_Diabetes_Guide/547161/all/Non_nutritive_and_Nutritive_Sweeteners.
McKinney C, Donner T. Non-nutritive and Nutritive Sweeteners. Johns Hopkins Diabetes Guide. 2020. https://www.hopkinsguides.com/hopkins/view/Johns_Hopkins_Diabetes_Guide/547161/all/Non_nutritive_and_Nutritive_Sweeteners. Accessed June 2, 2023.
McKinney, C., & Donner, T. (2020). Non-nutritive and Nutritive Sweeteners. In Johns Hopkins Diabetes Guide https://www.hopkinsguides.com/hopkins/view/Johns_Hopkins_Diabetes_Guide/547161/all/Non_nutritive_and_Nutritive_Sweeteners
McKinney C, Donner T. Non-nutritive and Nutritive Sweeteners [Internet]. In: Johns Hopkins Diabetes Guide. ; 2020. [cited 2023 June 02]. Available from: https://www.hopkinsguides.com/hopkins/view/Johns_Hopkins_Diabetes_Guide/547161/all/Non_nutritive_and_Nutritive_Sweeteners.
* Article titles in AMA citation format should be in sentence-case
TY - ELEC T1 - Non-nutritive and Nutritive Sweeteners ID - 547161 A1 - McKinney,Christine,RD, LDN, CDE AU - Donner,Thomas,M.D. Y1 - 2020/10/09/ BT - Johns Hopkins Diabetes Guide UR - https://www.hopkinsguides.com/hopkins/view/Johns_Hopkins_Diabetes_Guide/547161/all/Non_nutritive_and_Nutritive_Sweeteners DB - Johns Hopkins Guides DP - Unbound Medicine ER -