Treatment of Neuropathic Pain
is a topic covered in the Johns Hopkins Diabetes Guide
To view the entire topic, please sign in or purchase a subscription.
Official website of the Johns Hopkins Antibiotic (ABX), HIV, Diabetes, and Psychiatry Guides, powered by Unbound Medicine. Johns Hopkins Guide App for iOS, iPhone, iPad, and Android included. Explore these free sample topics:
-- The first section of this topic is shown below --
- Pregabalin for painful diabetic polyneuropathy (DPN)
- Duloxetine for painful DPN
- Gabapentin most commonly used non-FDA approved medication for DPN.
- Non FDA-approved DPN pain medications include antidepressants, opiates or opiate-like agents and anti-epileptic medications.
- Antidepressants include tricyclic antidepressants (amitriptyline, nortriptyline) and selective serotonin and norepinephrine reuptake inhibitors (SNRIs: venlafaxine, duloxetine).
- Antiepileptic medications include gabapentin, valproate, lamotrigine, carbamazepine, oxcarbazepine, phenytoin and lacrosamide.
- Opiate or opiate-derivative agents include oxycodone, morphine sulfate, hydromorphone, fentanyl and tramadol.
- Other agents include topical agents (lidocaine cream, lidoderm patches, capsaicin cream), neutriceuticals (Metanx, alpha-lipoic acid) and devices (spinal stimulators, transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulation).
-- To view the remaining sections of this topic, please sign in or purchase a subscription --
Last updated: July 8, 2018
Khoshnoodi, Nima, et al. "Treatment of Neuropathic Pain." Johns Hopkins Diabetes Guide, 2018. Johns Hopkins Guide, www.hopkinsguides.com/hopkins/view/Johns_Hopkins_Diabetes_Guide/547156/all/Treatment_of_Neuropathic_Pain.
Khoshnoodi , Polydefkis M, Pinto B. Treatment of Neuropathic Pain. Johns Hopkins Diabetes Guide. 2018. https://www.hopkinsguides.com/hopkins/view/Johns_Hopkins_Diabetes_Guide/547156/all/Treatment_of_Neuropathic_Pain. Accessed November 21, 2019.
Khoshnoodi, ., Polydefkis, M., & Pinto, B. (2018). Treatment of Neuropathic Pain. In Johns Hopkins Diabetes Guide. Available from https://www.hopkinsguides.com/hopkins/view/Johns_Hopkins_Diabetes_Guide/547156/all/Treatment_of_Neuropathic_Pain
Khoshnoodi , Polydefkis M, Pinto B. Treatment of Neuropathic Pain [Internet]. In: Johns Hopkins Diabetes Guide. ; 2018. [cited 2019 November 21]. Available from: https://www.hopkinsguides.com/hopkins/view/Johns_Hopkins_Diabetes_Guide/547156/all/Treatment_of_Neuropathic_Pain.
TY - ELEC
T1 - Treatment of Neuropathic Pain
ID - 547156
A1 - Khoshnoodi, Nima,M.D.
AU - Polydefkis,Michael,M.D., M.H.S.
AU - Pinto,Brian,Pharm.D.
Y1 - 2018/07/08/
BT - Johns Hopkins Diabetes Guide
UR - https://www.hopkinsguides.com/hopkins/view/Johns_Hopkins_Diabetes_Guide/547156/all/Treatment_of_Neuropathic_Pain
DB - Johns Hopkins Guide
DP - Unbound Medicine