- Wound Healing: the body’s natural process of dermal or epidermal tissue regeneration. Involves a well-organized cascade of events including: inflammation, proliferation and remodeling.
- Celllar activation of keratinocytes, fibroblasts, macrophages, platelets and endothelial cells is essential for healing. Healing consists of new epithelium, decreased area and depth of the wound and no drainage.
- Impaired wound healing (IWH): lack of orderly process of healing, associated with morbidity, amputations, mortality and health-care costs. IWH is associated with hyperglycemia and advanced glycation end products (AGE), decreased cell and growth factor response, and endothelial dysfunction with decreased local angiogenesis.
- Poor healing exhibits impaired angiogenesis and vasculogenesis with reduced vascular endothelial growth factor (VEGF) . Bone marrow-derived endothelial progenitor cells (EPCs), essential for neovascularization, are decreased in DM. Keratinocyte and fibroblast migration and proliferation also decreased. Matrix metaloproteinases (MMPs) also play a major role in wound healing and are in excess in wound fluid.
- "The diabetic foot": refers to a constellation of pathological conditions (neuropathy, ischemia, ulceration, infection "the fetid foot", the Charcot foot, and gangrene) of which the diabetic foot ulcer (DFU) is the most characteristic.
There's more to see -- the rest of this topic is available only to subscribers.
Last updated: July 7, 2020
, Laura Shin, et al. "Wound Healing." Johns Hopkins Diabetes Guide, 2020. Johns Hopkins Guides, www.hopkinsguides.com/hopkins/view/Johns_Hopkins_Diabetes_Guide/547150/all/Wound_Healing.
L, D, Sanders LJ. Wound Healing. Johns Hopkins Diabetes Guide. 2020. https://www.hopkinsguides.com/hopkins/view/Johns_Hopkins_Diabetes_Guide/547150/all/Wound_Healing. Accessed June 1, 2023.
, L., , D., & Sanders, L. J. (2020). Wound Healing. In Johns Hopkins Diabetes Guide https://www.hopkinsguides.com/hopkins/view/Johns_Hopkins_Diabetes_Guide/547150/all/Wound_Healing
L, D, Sanders LJ. Wound Healing [Internet]. In: Johns Hopkins Diabetes Guide. ; 2020. [cited 2023 June 01]. Available from: https://www.hopkinsguides.com/hopkins/view/Johns_Hopkins_Diabetes_Guide/547150/all/Wound_Healing.
* Article titles in AMA citation format should be in sentence-case
TY - ELEC T1 - Wound Healing ID - 547150 A1 - ,Laura Shin,D.P.M., Ph.D. AU - ,David Armstrong,D.P.M., M.D., Ph.D. AU - Sanders,Lee,D.P.M. Y1 - 2020/07/07/ BT - Johns Hopkins Diabetes Guide UR - https://www.hopkinsguides.com/hopkins/view/Johns_Hopkins_Diabetes_Guide/547150/all/Wound_Healing DB - Johns Hopkins Guides DP - Unbound Medicine ER -