Official website of the Johns Hopkins Antibiotic (ABX), HIV, Diabetes, and Psychiatry Guides, powered by Unbound Medicine. Johns Hopkins Guide App for iOS, iPhone, iPad, and Android included. Explore these free sample topics:
-- The first section of this topic is shown below --
- Results from any disruption of blood flow to the brain prolonged enough to cause cell death and manifesting as focal neurological symptoms.
- Hemorrhagic strokes are caused by blood leaking from blood vessels into brain tissue.
- Ischemic strokes are caused by an occlusion of a blood vessel.
- Ischemic strokes further subcategorized by mechanism or etiology of the stroke. Subcategories include: large vessel atherosclerosis, cardio-embolic disease, and small-vessel disease.
- Other causes of strokes include hypercoagulability, dissection, sickle cell disease, as well as some undetermined causes  .